NIKON FLASH UNIT COUPLERS
AS-1-2-3-4-5-6-7,10 & 11.
Nikon Flash Unit Couplers provide direct electrical connection between a Nikon camera body and an electronic flash unit when the mounting foot of the flash does not fit the camera's built-in accessory shoe. The flash then can be used without a sync cord. Six types of Flash Unit Couplers are available according to the type of camera and flash combination
Nikon Flash Couplers' Compatibility Graph
Flash Unit Coupler
Electronic Flash Unit
Nikon F and F2 Series Nikon Speedlight SB-15, SB-16B, SB-19, 20, SB-21B, SB-22, SB-23, SB-24, and other electronic flash unit with ISO-type mounting feet.
Nikon F5 and F4 (with DP-20, DA-20), F3P, F3H, F801, FA, FE2, FM2, FM2n, F-501, F401, F-301, and other cameras with ISO type hot shoes. Nikon Speedlight SB-7, it permits flashes with F or F2 sockets to be used on F/F2 cameras with ISO hot shoe.
Nikon F3 Series It permits flash units designed for Nikon F and F2 to be used on Nikon F3. Examples, older BC- units or SB-7E etc.
Nikon F3 Series it connects flash WITHOUT a cable attachment functions but with a ISO-type hot shoe. Other newer units also usable Examples:- Nikon Speedlight SB-15, SB-16B, SB-19, SB-20, SB-21B, SB-22, SB-23, SB-24, and other electronic flash units with ISO-type mounting feet.
Nikon F2 Series It reverses the usage of Nikon flash designed for the Nikon F3 special flash foot to be used on older Nikon bodies such as Nikon F and Nikon F2 models. Nikon Speedlight SB-12, SB-16A, SB-17, SB-21A
Nikon F5 and F4 (with DP-20, DA-20), F3P, F3H, F801, FA, FE2, FM2, FM2n, F-501, F401, F-301, and other cameras with ISO type hot shoes. It works in principle as the AS-7, where Nikon Speedlight SB-12, SB-16A, SB-17 or special unit such as SB-21A designed for the Nikon F3 to be used on Nikon bodies with a standard ISO-type hot shoe.
Nikon F3 Series
This was specifically designed for Nikon F3, Where all ISO-type hot shoe Nikon flash can be mounted and used on the Nikon F3.
See Nikon SB-16 A/B
Nikon F3 Series
Basically the base module of the connecting part of the SB-16A, designed with a Nikon F3 flash foot.
Nikon F5 and F4 (with DP-20, DA-20), F3P, F3H, F801, FA, FE2, FM2, FM2n, F-501, F401, F-301, and other cameras with ISO type hot shoes.
Basically the base module of the connecting part of the SB-16B, designed with a any Nikon SLR with an ISO-type hot shoe.
The module has a direct connections for additional flash (off camera), it is used with sync cords such as SC-18 TTL multi-flash connecting cables. It has a tripod socket for independent use with a separate flash.
Nikon F3 Series
with other third party labels
1. Turn the locking ring of the Flash Unit Coupler counterclockwise until it stops.
2. Insert the Coupler into the accessory shoe of the camera body until it stops. With the AS-1, AS-2, AS-5, and AS-6, push the Coupler into the accessory shoe from the rear. With the AS-3 and AS-4, insert the Coupler from the front.
3. Attach the Coupler to the camera body by turning the locking ring clockwise until it stops.
4. Then, attach the electronic flash to the Coupler's accessory shoe.
- *1. Set the camera selector of SB-19 to "A". When a flash gun or a flash unit without hot shoe is used insulation material like vinyl tape must be used on the couple;'s contact to avoid short circuit
- *2. When the F3 is used with the SB-15, SB-16B, SB-19, SB-20, SB21B, SB-22, SB-23, SB-24, SB-11+SC-13, SB-14+SC-13 or SB140+SC-13, the shutter speed is automatically switched to the proper synchronization speed as soon as the speedlight unit is turned on. (The shutter speed is switched to 1/80 sec. When the shutter speed dial is set to A or 1/2000 - 1/125 sec. ). The ready light lights up when the flash is recycled and ready to fire.
Note: When the F3 is used with third party flash unit, the camera's electronic circuit could damage in the following cases:
- *3 • Manual shooting only when using SB-12. Set the shooting mode selector of the SB-12 "M" for manual.
- *4 • When the SB-12. the SB-16A, the SB-17 or the SB-21A is used with the F4 (with DP-20, DA-20), the F801, the FA, the FE-2 the F-501, the F-401, the F-301. the shutter speed is automatically turned to the proper synchronization speed as soon as the speed light unit is switched on.
- *5 TTL is possible with SB-12, SB-16A, SB-17, others offers automatic and manual flash.
* Note: To use the F4 camera (with DW - 20 or DW - 21) with a speedlight flash unit, the SC 24 TTL light control cord is necessary.
| Message Board | for your Nikkor optics ("shared" because I want some of you to expose to other's perspective as well, it is sad to see photography has to be segmented into different camps from the use of various labels).
Nikon F | Nikon F2 | Nikon F3 | Nikon F4 | Nikon F5 | Nikon F6 | Nikkormat / Nikomat | Nikon FM | Nikon FE/ FA | Nikon EM/FG/FG20 | Nikon Digital SLRs | Nikon - Other models
Nikon AUTO Focus Nikkor lenses:- Main Index Page
Nikon Manual Focus Nikkor lenses:- Fisheye-Nikkor Lenses - Circular | Full Frame | Ultrawides Lenses - 13mm15mm18mm20mm | Wideangle Lenses - 24mm28mm35mm | Standard Lenses - 45mm 50mm 58mm | Telephoto Lenses - 85mm105mm135mm180mm & 200mm | Super-Telephoto Lenses - 300mm 400mm 500mm 600mm 800mm 1200mm |
Special Application lenses:
Micro-Nikkor Lenses - 50mm~55mm -60mm 85mm -105mm 200mm Micro-Zoom 70-180mm
Perspective Control (PC) - 28mm 35mm PC-Micro 85mm
Dedicated Lenses for Nikon F3AF: AF 80mm f/2.8 | AF 200mm f/3.5 EDIF
Depth of Field Control (DC): 105mm 135mm
Medical Nikkor: 120mm 200mm
Reflex-Nikkor Lenses - 500mm 1000mm 2000mm
Others: Noct Nikkor | OP-Nikkor | UV Nikkor 55mm 105mm | Focusing Units | Bellows-Nikkor 105mm 135mm
Nikon Series E Lenses: 28mm35mm50mm100mm135mm | E-Series Zoom lenses: 36~72mm75~150mm70~210mm
MF Zoom-Nikkor Lenses: 25~50mm | 28~45mm | 28~50mm | 28~85mm | 35~70mm | 36~72mm E | 35~85mm | 35~105mm | 35~135mm | 35~200mm | 43~86mm | 50~135mm | 50~300mm | 70~210mm E | 75~150mm E | 80~200mm | 85~250mm | 100~300mm | 180~600mm | 200~400mm | 200~600mm | 360~1200mm | 1200~1700mm
Tele-Converters: TC-1 | TC-2 | TC-200 | TC-201 | TC-300 | TC-301 | TC-14 | TC-14A | TC-14B | TC-14C | TC-14E | TC-16 | TC-16A | TC-20E
Recommended links to understand more technical details related to the Nikkor F-mount and production Serial Number:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html by: my friend, Rick Oleson
http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/lhhansen/photo/fmount.htm by: Hansen, Lars Holst
Recommended Reading Reference on Nikon cameras and Nikkor lenses
IF you like this site, help to make it better !
| Back | Main Index Page of Nikkor Resources
| Back | Main Index Page of Pictorial History of Nikon SLRs
about this photographic web site
Home - Photography in Malaysia
Credit: To all the good people who has contributed their own experience, resources or those who are kind enough granting us permission to use their images appeared in this site Note:certain content and images appeared in this site were either scanned from official marketing leaflets, brochures, sales manuals or publications published by Nikon over the years and/or contribution from surfers who claimed originality of their work for educational purposes. The creator of the site will not be responsible for may discrepancies arise from such dispute except rectifying them after verification."Nikon", "Nikkormat", "Nippon Kokagu KK" & "Nikkor" are registered tradename of Nikon Corporation Inc., Japan. Site made with an Apple IMac.