PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Url : http://
Date : 06:55 AM Saturday 26 June, 2004

Arrrgh I'm getting old(er), another error I've made. The 50mm becomes a 75mm on the *istD not 100mm - still a nice portrait length. Getting confused with 6X7 down to 35mm. AB

2. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 04:02 AM Saturday 26 June, 2004

Something that I've been wondering for years. Can anyone tell me what that green-glassed lens is that's fitted to the bulk-backed motor-driven LX at the top of this page? Looks like a fast baby. AB

3. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 03:55 AM Saturday 26 June, 2004

Right you are Ian, I only have the winder manual on PDF so I hadn't read it thoroughly enough - you can't take a PDF to the small room! Know what I mean guys? The reason I find it a pain is that when I'm doing the low light concert stuff, I often switch the winder off during quite passages, when it's a loud number it goes back on, the resulting change in trigger point is... you get my point.

Slightly off topic: I became aware of some considerable yellowing on my SMC 105 2.4 standard lens for my old Pentax 6X7. I bought the 6X7 with lenses and various bits as a package, it's a non-mirror lock-up version, which dates it to late 60's, and early 70's the lenses are from the same era. I use the standard a lot with a 2X converter, it becomes the 35mm equivalent of a 105 - bit faster than - 5.6 lovely portrait combination - apart from the yellow tendency and providing I remember the 2X exposure compensation!!! I read on a newsgroup that you should leave the lens in direct sunlight for a month (a windowsill will do) and the UV will bleach it - err take the UV filter off first dummy. Well, it's been there a week and the yellowing is over 50% reduced... result. Put this in your memory banks for a sunny day, you never know when you may need it thirty years from now. AB

4. From : Ian (ian@ity.co.uk)
Date : 05:12 AM Friday 25 June, 2004

The LX Winder manual states: "Exposure Check: When the winder is attached to the camera the stroke required for shutter release is shortened somewhat. As a precaution against accidental shutter release while checking the exposure with the winder attached press the shutter button very lightly. (If you; fingers aren't steady, temporarily set the C/S dial to OFF before checking the exposure.)" I've got into the habit of using the EV compensation release button. I agree with AB, it can screw up your timing. Having said that, once I'm used to the "hair trigger", I really like it. I've also noticed that if you depress the button to a certain (very shallow) depth, you'll occasionally get two frames fired instead of one (in S mode). Weird, but I guess it adds character.

AB, thanks for the 1.2 info, I'm pleased to hear that the A-series has a nice aperture ring. Judging by the sticker price of the A-20mm f/2.8, this too has a nice aperture ring? I'm a little dissapointed by the A-50mm f/1.4 ring info (sounds like the f/1.7), but I'm glad you mentioned it, thanks AB. - Ian.

5. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 12:45 AM Friday 25 June, 2004

Hey, I'm having a busy day. Terry, The depth of travel of the shutter button on the LX changes when the winder is attached and switched on (it seems to me that this electromagnetic trickery is at the heart of various erratic LX behaviours, in many ways I prefer the simple mechanical Pentaxes - one of my LX's is in repair at the moment with yet another bizarre intermittent behaviour). If you experiment, you will notice that the travel of the shutter button with the winder switched off is a fair bit deeper than when the winder is on. However the point at which the meter is activated doesn't change; this is bad design. It means that when the winder is on you have to be very careful when taking a reading or you will trip the shutter, it really is a pain.

Hold the camera to your eye with the winder on and very slowly depress the shutter, you should notice that the meter switches on, the travel between switching on the meter and firing the shutter is tiny but you can practise and get better at it. Another option - if you have a later LX - is to switch the meter on by depressing the button on the other side of the prism in the centre of the prism release lever.

This change in travel of the shutter button is not only a nuisance in respect of activating the meter, it also changes your timing slightly, I find I have to be very aware or I fire the shutter sooner than desired when trying to capture a moment. There is no mention of this fairly serious change in operation in the LX or LX winder manuals. As for the other problem... I don't know. I have had similar problems with winder and flash. The LX seems to become very electronic with these items attached, the winder kinda (poet eh!) takes over the camera, the camera kinda takes over the flash and if something isn't quite right... it crashes. My tech says to true solution to this is to bring the whole lot in for a CLA. There are switches and contacts in the winder that affect the camera, there are numerous switches and contacts in the camera that affect the winder and the flash and you may as well have the whole lot cleaned and adjusted and all items tested as a unit rather than parts. Running the LX is an expensive business particularly if you use all its functions and want them to be working properly. The more bodies, winders and accessories you use the more expensive it gets. You have been warmed! AB

6. From : Terry Kitchen (kitchen@streetlife.co.uk)
Date : 12:06 AM Friday 25 June, 2004

I am having some problems with a combination of an LX a winder and a metz flash. The camera and the winder work as expected except that with the winder switched on the shutter fires imediately the buton is depressed so exposure cannot be checked first. A solution is to turn the winder off to take the exposure and turn it on again to shoot - but that is not ideal. The second problem is that although the camera and flash work correctly together, when the timer is attached and turned on the shutter release button is locked and hence one cannot shoot. Turn the winder off and everything works as expected. Any ideas? Terry Kitchen

7. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 10:17 PM Thursday 24 June, 2004

Sorry the nomenclature should have been: SMC PENTAX-A 1:1.2 50mm AB

8. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 10:15 PM Thursday 24 June, 2004

Ian, I have Globetrotter's Pentax SMC-A 1:1.2

A couple of years ago I got a SMC-A 1:1.4 50mm - it came with the last one owner late model LX I bought. This lens has a good reputation BUT the aperture ring feels cheesy and plastic and the main body of the lens 'rattles' slightly in the helicoid (okay it doesn't actually make a sound but there is play in there); smacks of an F/FA series; not nice - no offence you auto-focussers!

Back to the 1.2, I have it here in front of me as I type.

A fat heavy chunk of a lens, focussing action is beautifully weighted, reminiscent of the K series. Aperture ring is smooth and lightly clicky, not as heavy as some K's but not loose and sloppy either; the ring appears to be metal Diaphragm operates perfectly - it has a long way to travel from wide open at f1.2 right down to f22 but it snaps shut (there is a bit of a vibrational hit from those blades moving that far so quickly but who buys a f1.2 to use it at f22?!). Go ahead and hunt one down, I have seen them go at very reasonable prices occasionally, bear in mind it will be a 100mm f1.2 on the *istD - stonking head & shoulders/head portrait lens. I use it on the LX as a full body low-light portrait lens. Can't comment on quality as I use it with 1600 and 3200 film wide open with some subject (and doubtless camera) movement. Hardly test conditions for lens sharpness. AB

9. From : Ian (ian@ity.co.uk)
Date : 07:03 PM Thursday 24 June, 2004

Hi all. Lens purchase. Although my priority is for a 20mm lens, I am keeping my eye open for a well priced 50 f1.2 too. I've noticed that the build quality between A-Series lens changes (unlike M). I have a 50mm f1.7 A-series and having previously owned an M version, I am very disappointed with the aperture ring action. However, my 35-105 f3.5 A-series is superb, great actions all round. My question is this, is the 50mm f1.2 A-series built better than the 1.7 A? Also, there does not seem to be an M-series version of this lens? K and A only? The cell looks different, are they similar in quality (optically)? I've seen contradictory images from these lenses, some showing sharp wide open, others soft. - Ian

10. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 07:00 PM Thursday 24 June, 2004

Juan, I would look for the No.3&4 (these should be later version)although the price is a bit high. You can not tell much by looking in the picture of LX, it can be very nice but who knows what is inside.Try to get more details from the retailer. M.

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.