PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Url : http://
Date : 12:00 PM Tuesday 30 September, 2003

Phil, The only thing that crosses my mind is that, for some reason, your lens with 1.4X attached is fooling the second mirror,and causing false manual reading. If I got you right, during your "garage test", camera was on AUTO? So, if the speeds were close to what you had expected, than IDM, or OTF if you like, works fine, while camera meter displays weird values through the second mirror. M.

2. From : Phil (genesisphil@hotmail.com)
Date : 06:32 AM Tuesday 30 September, 2003

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have a problem? with my LX and would appreciate any advice. I had been using, very successfully,a Sigma 400mm 5.6 apo macro lens with paf fit. I decided to get a 1.4 converter and asked Sigma if their new 1.4 ex was compatible with the 400 (now discontinued). They said yes and all I would lose would be autofocus - no problem with my LX. So I bought one and popped out yesterday to photograph some waders at high water where I live. Mounted on my tripod I focused as usual, selected f11, but when I depressed the shutter to meter, the reading hovered between 1/30 & 1/8 which I thought odd as it was a bright sunny day. I opened up to 5.6 and the meter readout hardly moved. I stopped down to f22 and again it hardly moved. I therefore pointed up at the bright sky but, no matter what ,the meter stayed at around 1/30 to 1/8? just flickering occassionly. I then tried the 400 alone and it metered fine changing as you would expect. I tried other lens, plus extension tubes and all OK. I tested the meter in the camera with a hand held meter and it proved the camera meter was OK. Just wouldn't give correct readout with the converter fitted? Odd I thought. On arriving home and with no film in I set up pointing at a grey/white garage door and on auto, ignoring what the meter indicated, I released the shutter at all the apertures from 5.6 to f32 and lo and behold it seemed to fire at all the correct shutter speeds that I would have expected (3-4 seconds at smallest apertures and what appeared to me as about 250/500th at 5.6. Most odd and of course I plan to shoot off a test film to see the real results. Could it be for some reason, that I can't fathom, that the actual camera is operating correctly even though the LED readouts are not responding properly? sorry for such a long post, but it is hard to explain otherwise. Phil

3. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 01:42 AM Tuesday 30 September, 2003

My comments on the F5 were directed to other parties who asserted its grand availability, not to Tony who has made an intelligent choice for his use. To those other parites I have to note my use may not be your use, but my use is professional and is based on my feelings and needs, not on your put-downs of what works for others. I continue to find excellent use for what has proven excellet gear. I add too that the 1994 body I bought that year, by serial number, was made that year. --Jay

4. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 01:11 AM Tuesday 30 September, 2003

My choice of the F5 was eventually taken after YEARS of careful thought. The Z1p is a wonderful camera, but it's focussing speed with lenses of 400mm or longer on fast subjects (such as birds in flight) just would cause too much 'hunting'. Yes, the F5 is a big, heavy brick, but it is lighter than the EOS1n with booster attached, and its added weight actually helps balance the set-up when using large-aperture heavy lenses. Like I mentioned earlier, we all choose to buy and own certain equipment because it fulfils most of our requirements. I dislike some the Leica equipment and think it is way overpriced and some of their lenses are not top rate....but I could say the same about some Pentax bodies & lenses, or Minolta, or Canon, or Contax, or Nikon..........You pay your money and make your choice - and hopefully it is the right one.

5. From : Jay H. (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 11:27 PM Monday 29 September, 2003

Anton, I bought my last new in box LX in 1994. Since then there have been three releases of new in box units. Do the math. --Jay

6. From : Anton (handmai@fsmail.net)
Date : 10:48 PM Monday 29 September, 2003

I agree with most of Globetrotters advice except remember that a NIB (New In Box) LX will still be 20 years - or so - old. Electronics degrade with age whether they are used or not and it is the electronics that seem to be causing the problems (other than sticky mirror). The fully manual cameras (MX KX K1000) are likely to out live the LX I feel. For now the best advice is to thoroughly test all operations and combinations of operation of a camera before purchase. Not easy if buying from eBay but do your best. Remember also that many people will not be aware of faults on their cameras because they don't use certain functions.

When I asked PDML members to test their LX's for erratic shutter timing and told them how to do it. Many of them were dismayed to find that their cherished LX's had this 'enhancement'. They never used the high ISO so didn't know. Just under half of the LX's tested displayed this fault but you can work 'round it. Buyer beware. AB

7. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 10:46 PM Monday 29 September, 2003

I forgot to add. I really dislike the Nikon f5 and do not believe one needs a tank to do handheld 35mm photography. I view it as overkill. Go buy one. Lug it around for a week, as I used to daily. Like Mico, I do not like the bulk nor the contrast which constitutes their lens system and pro bodies. I started with Leica years ago, then went Nikon F, then OM 1, then MX, then LX, then some AF bodies. I do not really use AF much, rarely do I need it. I have other gear in other formats, and quite an investment in lighting and support systems, even in digital. It is reading the test reports on the new DSLR which incorporates their assessment into my language of it as "robust" (it has a stainless steel chassis), and just so without being a tank. I like the handling of Pentax gear (and some Canon gear too). It is not my difficulty that the current and clear direction for making most non-bottom line lenses AL/AI is an obvious difference established by Pentax and ignored by some in their bashing and whining drift here. I use gear, daily, in the field, in the studio, on assignment. I love the handling of the gear I use or it goes away. --Jay

8. From : Jay H. (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 10:29 PM Monday 29 September, 2003

Robert, I do not have time to go over the list again for you. Lets just say we disagree. --Jay

9. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 04:50 PM Monday 29 September, 2003

Norbert, I have found the Pentax LX to be extremely reliable over a long period of time (decades of use with same camera bodies!).

People must try to remember that very few of the people who actually complain about odd things not working with their LX, are actually using new ones out of the package. Most of them, including me, tend to (or morer likely have been forced to, due to them not being made any more) buy all their LX bodies seconhand. Some of the bodies I have bought in the past had already had around 10-years or more of abuse by previous photographers - yet most continued to provide decades more of perfect, hard-working use. If you visit forums of any brand of camera, you will soon notice that there are thousands of owners out there with faulty goods, especially if that particular camera was designed way back in 1980, and discontinued production of new components many years ago. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to find 'new-in-package' Pentax LX's, but at places like Ebay, or in the 'selling' sections of some photography magazines, there are, often enough, pristine-like new Pentax LX's to be bought at very reasonable prices. I would much rather buy an incredible LX body, with wonderful build quality and heavy-duty castings and weather-proof sealings etc, than buy a brand new, low-grade plastic camera body for the same price. Also, with a bullet-proof camera like the LX, it is not always important to buy a "looks-like-new" camera body. Often a well-used, marked, but 100% working sample, will continue to give years of great service to the new user.

One very postive thing about the rush to go 'digital' is that there are now rafts of bargain top-quality camera equipment to be found on the seconhand market.

10. From : Norbert DL (norbert_O@notthisone.com)
Date : 03:00 PM Monday 29 September, 2003

Jay: I ageed with most parts of your explanation. But photography is not confined to the rich ot those who can afford it for the technological advantages. I am only concerned with the entry cost for budding photographers. Gone are the days where we can save our pocket $ to buy a first SLR camera.. and gradual add-on with lenses or other accessories - you learnt along the way when it progressess. The path itself is interesting enough for many new photographers. To me, K1000 is good enough to force everyone to lean back to sheer basic to take pictures. I have struggled for a long time to "upgrade" myself an LX financially. Strangely, my LX is fine and the auto is something very refreshing for a mechanical camera user like me but I often reading from a few inputs here at this forum that it is/was not "entirely" reliable... something that few of my friends who have opwned this little marvel for years do not experiencing the ways that being described. Does it means Pentax has a dual reliability standards for various markets ? huh!

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.