PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotter@blueyonder.co.uk)
Url : http://
Date : 06:18 AM Friday 12 July, 2002

In manual mode, the LX meter always reads the light in the same manner (via a secondary mirror as it passes out through the reflex) - so it will always be a consistant reading; however, a different reading in automatic mode will inevitably occasionally occur due to the difference between preview reading via secondary mirror and actual shutter speed given by the camera during film-plane scanning. I believe this discrepency is of little cocequence in the real world and in 100% of my shooting I would not need to bother about it because the LX is reading the light at least 50 times, even at fastest shutter speed, and will suddenly change the reading (for example, as a cloud suddenly partially blocks the sun)at that last fraction of a second to give normal exposure.
There is also a discrepancy with different types of films used (different films can have different reflection) but the change in auto metering reading given due to spectral reflector of films is so minute to hardly be worth concern in normal photography.
It should be noted that the LX tends to give slightly more exposed film in manual mode than in auto mode during dim light conditions and this tendency expands into dusk and low light/night photography - so I generally overide the auto by X1 or X2 during extremely long exposures.
It should also be noted that the LX will begin to give longer exposure (about 1 stop) when the batteries are low, but not expired (below 2.8 Volts). This can happen prior to the low-battery indicator in the viewfinder, so you should change batteries regularly (never let battery power fall below 2.5V. The normal power is 3V).
In auto flash mode, the LX continously reads ambient light levels and balances this with flash at all speeds below 1/60th (1/50)so it is impossible to know exactly the reading given at any given exposure as both flash & speeds are adjusting constantly up to final opening of shutter curtains.
TTL flash of course will work at the 1/75th "x" setting.
As Jelena has so rightly commented on, manual control of shutter speeds in 'long-time' mode during TTL flash exposure needs to be done with the TTL Grip connected. However, I rarely use the grip in long-time mode and prefer to adjust the over/under compensation dial on the LX body while in auto TTL mode.

2. From : Mico (jecimic@sympatico.ca)
Date : 01:27 AM Tuesday 09 July, 2002

Hello Globetrotter,

I would like to apologize to you, Mr. Foo (who is the ovner of this site) and to all visitors, of course. I did not have intention to start dispute or to make the battle-field on this (or any) web site. But, sometimes, things get out of control, unintentionaly.
So, about "bugs" in my LX cameras... I would be very happy if you were right about pest control solving that problem. Anyhow, there were a lot of people complaining about erratic exposure on Auto mode. In 1998 and 1999, I posted a couple of messages about erratic AUTO exposure. It seems to be very specific disorder in LX "brain", and I can`t figure out why it happens to some of them , and not for others (like in your case). What if I make a statement that I`ve never experienced infamous STICKY MIRROR problem, althought two of my LX-s haven`t been serviced ( other than by me) for 15 yeras?! But, this problem, definitely exists. As well as erratic exposure on Auto. Anton Brown is the latest who experienced it. It could be related to many things - climate, how frequently camera is used, how often AUTO mode is used (in my case VERY RARE) . The latest could be very important, because camera metering system(s) work(s) differently, depending on the setting - Auto or Manual. And the worst - that specific behaviour is intermittent, (sometimes camera works fine for months!) which means that you can get your camera back from the service as fixed or estimated as free of error at the first place! In one word, head -ache. But, I wouldn`t be on this site, having three LX-s, if I did not think that LX is the one of the greatest manual focus cameras ever produced. And also, the most reliable of all cameras I`ve been working with in the past 25 year. Aside Auto problem, other than that, LX can be demolished only by heavy hammer, and that`s what counts.

3. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotter@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date : 11:58 PM Wednesday 03 July, 2002

Shaun - I have used the LX motordrive Nicad battery (LX & M) charger around the World by simply buying a cheap travel plug adapter and inserting the two-pin charger head into back of adapter plug socket.

4. From : Shaun Canning (shauncanning1@bigpond.com)
Date : 04:47 PM Wednesday 26 June, 2002

Hi there, I have just bought an LX motor drive and ni-cd battery pack m. One small problem though, the charge pack m is the wrong one for Australia (I bought the motor drive from the USA). Not only are the power packs pins wrong for Australia, it is 120v rather than our 240v. Has anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem. Obviously, if I can obtain an Australian version of the Charge Pack M I will happily purchase it, however they appear a bit hard to get (to say the least). Has anyone got any ideas? I would hate to have to sell this drive without ever using it. Cheers Shaun

5. From : Lindy (adkinstone@earthlink.net)
Date : 12:47 AM Wednesday 26 June, 2002

Well alrighty then... My previous need for KX camera info is no longer necessary! I figured out how to use my AMAZING SMC 15mm f3.5 rectilinear late 1970's Pentax lense SUCCESSFULLY with my wifes cheap-o pawn shop buy Pentax ZX-50 that I got her a a couple years back for $49.95 with 35-80 zoom and custom Pentax outfit bag. With it I got some lovely long exposure feathery waterfall shots at Estes Park, CO and some amazing and bright landscapes too. The ZX-50 is actually an easy body to drive the old less desireable SMC lenses. So no KX info needed for me... The ZX-50 Rocks! And at ebay the ZX-50 it's like $100 or a bit more body only. Which was less than 1/2 that I was willing to pay at ebay for a near mint black body KX and $ 300+ less than the LX with out all it's many accessories. Hope you all enjoyed the LX2000 posting right below from an ebay auction. The LX 2000 ,new in the box, did not sell at $3000+ , since it did not meet the reserve. LX2000 pics and informative text remain. Good day!

6. From : Lindy (adkinstone@earthlink.net)
Date : 05:04 AM Friday 21 June, 2002

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1360929060 Above is a link to a LX 2000 Millinum editon currently at ebay. Not mine and don't know the seller, but auction has lots of Pictures and Lots of info you you LX fans...

So... I am still waiting for info on the good and the bad concerning the Pentax KX All-Manual Camera Bodies. Is there another place at MIR that I should ask these KX questions at ??? Please direct me there as I was hoping I'd hear something by now. Thanks, Lindy

7. From : Lindy (adkinstone@earthlink.net)
Date : 01:49 PM Wednesday 19 June, 2002

I am looking information on the Pentax KX camera bodies. I have obtained a mint- 15mm f3.5 SMC Rectilinear Pentax lense and I have been told locally that the KX would be a fine and reliable and inexpensive camera. Apperature preview is a must for me and the KX I handled locally offered this feature. I just want the body to only use my 15mm rectilinear with and I do not think I want to spend the extra $$$ for the LX , if I do not need to , since I have another brand 35mm system. Any comments would be quite helpful as I am following the KX's on ebay but I want to be sure of the pros and cons before I place a winning bid on one. Black KX's look great to me but seem to be 2 times the money. I understand there is a motordrive for the KX too. I am posting these comments here since I cannot find a dedicated KX board at this FANTASTIC Site. Thanks to All! Lindy

8. From : Tom (wtmsz@friko6.onet.pl)
Date : 07:21 PM Tuesday 18 June, 2002

Hello I'm going to buy a Metz flash for my Pentax system (LX+MZ5N). Is SCA 372 adapter valid for LX ? Thank You Tom

9. From : Globetrotter (globetrotter@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date : 07:03 PM Monday 17 June, 2002

Mico - I'm sad to hear that you still cannot find a way to control TTL on your cameras and that you also continue to find bugs in your three LX bodies.....maybe you should phone the pest control. - But seriously, I don't think the readers of this forum want to hear our continued dissagreements about one of the greatest photgraphic tools in 35mm SLR history. Yes, I would say that the LX has a few design flaws (the danger of light hitting unexposed film when removing motordrive and lack of spot metering - to name two), but I have never experienced the metering discrepancies that you found on your three LX bodies. In fact, if I were to name the one major thing that keeps me firmly attatched to my LX bodies is their absolutely superb and ultra reliable metering system. I do a great deal of low-light and night photography in my work, and it is in these sorts of situations that the LX excelled. I have used most of the top-tier cameras from other major brand leaders (such as Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Contax and Leica) but have yet to find an SLR camera body with a metering system to match the reliabilty of the LX. The top autofocus bodies of Pentax, Nikon, Canon and Minolta are much better tools than the LX in many situations, especially for action subjects, but the LX is in my view the best camera available for using on expeditions to the far-flung corners of this planet; and for low-light (early morning/evening) landscape photography, there simply is no better metering system to bring back superb photos, than the tried-and-true Pentax LX.

10. From : Mico (jecimic@sympatico.ca)
Date : 08:26 AM Wednesday 12 June, 2002

Hi globetrotter, It`s sad that you still advice visitors of this site in public...if you`ve ever read LX`s manual carefully, than you wouldn`t continue to persuade them about certain things. By the way, you`ve newer mentioned HOT SHOE GRIP as a device that could provide slower shuter speeds on TTL (which is true) until you droped a few insults on my adrress. For all those who still believe that LX-s TTL works other than in AUTO mode, please try, and let me know about the results. I`ll be excited to find something new about my 20 years old cameras, especially if advice comes from such an "expert". P.S. Problem with erratic exposure on AUTO is something that bothers me for years, and I`ve never got straight answer from PENTAX technicians what is that "bug" in LX-s metering system. In my case, even when I repare it in Pentax service, it`s back after a couple a years...and all of my three LX bodies suffered from it at some point.
Sometimes they say "timing switch", sometimes ASA dial...but I am still in doubt what is the real reason.

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.