PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Url : http://
Date : 07:49 PM Friday 28 February, 2003

As many of you know, I've been in conflict whether to change brands to Canon. The hoped for Pentax DSLR to match Canon/Nikon/Kodak has not yet materialised, but the new D*ist may be a stepping stone to better things with Pentax in the future. I'm still sitting on that high wall waiting to decide which way to jump. Things in life often make you change your mind......I've just got back some photos from my first batch of film using the Penax-A* 200mm F2.8ED lens. The results were eye-popping and even though my girfriend may not like the results (!) every minute detail in portraits taken of her show up in extreme sharp contrast. I don't know why I ever got rid of this particular lens when I owned one many years ago (..er yes I do, it was the lust and change for an autofocus lens!). I've gone through past photos that I took with the 200 2.8ED, and must admit that some of my favourite photos of all time - including some extremely sharp wildlife photos that are being used in my new book - were taken with this lens. How can I think of selling it again just to move to Canon or Nikon? Decisions, decisions! I think, like Anton, I might just stick a little bit longer with Pentax and wait to see what happens on the digital arena

2. From : Anton (anton@antonbrowne.co.uk)
Date : 04:35 PM Friday 28 February, 2003

Wow! I've gotten behind the times. Look at the new pics of the *ist D

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0302/pma2003/pentax/istd-frontback.jpg

it's got so many buttons and switches, it even has a menu. The LX is so simple by comparison (apart from the MLU/DOF/selt-timer lever). A digital camera would be ideal for my jazz club stuff, a lot of shots are wasted 'cause of focussing errors, subject movement, camera shake due to the very low light. With a digital I could delete the no-no's in the interval. With film I spend £15 (Peak Imaging) X 2 having all 72 D&P and just use 7 or 8. The images are almost exclusively for the web at a resolution of 72 DPI so the 6MP *ist D is enough. It would be great for eBay photos, snaps, and pictures that we wouldn't want anyone else to see. I doubt I'll be getting one however...

I really need 3200 ISO, 6400 would ease my problems a tad 12,800 would be nice and 25,600 would make me really happy - why not have 51,200 for a bit of extra leeway. These 'film' speeds are most likely to come from digital in future but at the moment film has the edge.

I don't like having the focal length of my lenses altered.

I like the robust metal feel of the LX, whilst modern plastics are highly impressive, I've yet to find one that 'turns me on'.

If Pentax up the CCD size, up the ISO, may as well up the resolution while they're at it - I could probably overlook the plastic - Then I'll be buying one. It's great that there's finally a digital body for the K-mount, the next release might be the one to complement my LX's.

Anton

3. From : choeN (not@here.please)
Date : 12:15 AM Friday 28 February, 2003

Globetrotter, I think you misread on the flash sync for the *ist D. It is 1/150. Yes, who came out with a name that sounds like censored expletives?

4. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date : 04:22 PM Thursday 27 February, 2003

Anton, it looks like the new zoom for the Pentax ist-D will be a f4-5.6 wide angle (I'll stick to my f2 primes I think!). The camera is definitely aimed at the consumer end of the market, and in similar style and layout to the film-based version Pentax "ist". Who gave a name like "ist" anyway?! The flash speed on the film version is 125th second, and the digital is only 1/50th - that's about the ONLY similarity with our beloved LX!
Looks like Canon and Kodak are still the way to go if you want digital.....mind you, if Pentax come out with full-frame 12-meg camera with the same size body as the "ist" and same bullet-proof construction and seals as the LX, then I'd be first to buy......but dreams are made of this.....!

5. From : Anton Browne (anton@antonbrowne.co.uk)
Date : 03:34 PM Thursday 27 February, 2003

Hello Mike I've no idea about swapping the light meter but my guess is that it's a no-no. I think we would have heard about people doing it if it was possible. Why not look out for a KX? A fast sensitive meter, depth of field preview, mirror lock-up, aperture and shutter in viewfinder. They often go for less than the K1000 (though heaven knows why... cult I guess) you may even be able to swap or part exchange. AB

6. From : Mike (mberg71@hotmail.com)
Date : 03:49 AM Thursday 27 February, 2003

Hello all! While I realize this message board is ostensibly for LX users I have a question about another pentax, the venerable K1000. I have been very happy with the one I've had for the last several years. My needs and means are very modest and I've enjoyed trying to get good pictures out of such a simple box. I'd love to lay my hands on an LX but I'm patient (and broke). I have acquired another K1000 for free and like tinkering, so I was wondering if it is possible to replace the light metering cell in this camera with a more sensitive one and recalibrating. Has anyone tried this or have any ideas about the possibilities, or is this a ridiculous idea? Thanks in advance.

7. From : Anton Browne (anton@antonbrowne.co.uk)
Date : 01:42 AM Thursday 27 February, 2003

http://www.letsgodigital.nl/webpages/events/PMA-2003/news/pentax/SLR-IST_uk.html Link to info on the new Pentax DSLR. Not full frame sadly. AB

8. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 07:08 PM Wednesday 26 February, 2003

Jay, it looks like Pentax are going the Sigma DSLR route and not Canon or Kodak. There was also talk last November that the miniature DSLR from Pentax would be launched in March, but latest pre-news gives no indication of one coming out at PMA. At the moment, I'm waiting to see if I'm wrong (I hope I am) - but I somehow think that the LX & Z1p will be my last hold on to Pentax equipment. Pentax really need something special in SLR arena to lift their sales. Most of their best launches over past few years have been in medium and large format.

9. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 04:56 AM Wednesday 26 February, 2003

Thanks for the MZ-M screen notion, and the inside finder cleaning notion to update flash contacts (just experienced the need for the latter tweak). You guys are ahead of the game.

Has anyone done battery type testing in reference to the mentioned erratic shutter behavior? Does anyone know about the shutter bearing lubrication changes over the years? Or the bearings themselves? Is the problem mechanical or electrical/electronic? I've not had this kind of misbehavior to date. What is your gut call on the origin of the misbehavior, certainly NOT family of origin.

As letting go of the lenses would be hard, and expensive, I still am considering and waiting for whatever will come down the pike. Pentax repair guys here are ultimately optimistic.

There will be a digital SLR announced this spring, type or types not yet totally clarified. I should know soon from Englewood, Colorado, Pentax USA. They had the MZ-S information about a month after it was first posted on the Swedish site, with full information, just after the initial Photokina release.

If anyone has access to the 800 number service used for toll free long distance calls in the USA--there are access codes from Europe and Canada--I can pass along the Pentax USA Professional Repair service number (write me directly, e-mail). Ask them about the erratic shutter problem; if anyone knows, they will know. Who uses ISO 1600 or 3200, if not only for shutter testing? What is that then about as to discovery of the mentioned shutter problem? Real world applications for this sensitivity remain unclear. Out of world remain. Clearly no DSLR incorporates such sensitivity for many reasons.

Note that the new Canon D1s has solved many CMOS chip problems, as sharpness, hot spots, contrast, etc. and may be the direction for achieving the filmlike color which we all hope for (11 MB). If the Pentax design lab in Japan is looking to the 14 MB chip in the Kodak Camera they will be incorporating image curvature toward the horizontal media edges: which gives a strange result. If they are looking the way of the Canon unit, we will be led on the right track. It is so nice to manipulate color images totally on computer; film's days are numbered for most composing for publication use. Just as Adobe Indesign 2 is usurping Quark as a logical step toward digital publication control start to finish, so too will the 10 MB and up 35mm size DSLRs apply to publication use. Film grain has no advantage over this specification.

Kodak does make some excellent backs for 6 X 4.5 and 6 X 6 cm. It works well with my 645 Mamiya Pro system. later, JH

10. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 02:21 AM Wednesday 26 February, 2003

Judging by the new on the PMA in March - it looks like Pentax will definitely not be bringing out a Pro-version DSLR. I don't think they are even going to announce a DSLR of ANY type! They will however bring out a tiny film-based SLR with some slow-zooms to match, and nothing improved from the Z1p or MZS. They will however be bringing out some new Pentax lenses for the 645. Looks like I'll need to buy a Canon DSLR or Pentax 645 with digi-back in the future......
At least there is that new Velvia 100 ISO to look forward to.....

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.