PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Url : http://
Date : 07:54 PM Friday 14 March, 2003

Anton - Did you remove the rear bayonet mount section from your 500m 4.5? This does make it easier to access cleaning of the rear element.
Looks like the war is on for next week.......so it's a good job I'm flying to USA at end of month - no, not to join in a world-of-chaos, but to do a few weeks fishing and relaxing away from the rat-race. Nothing like getting my priorities right!

2. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 08:51 AM Friday 14 March, 2003

It would be haunting to have cleaner go beyond accessible element (s). Yikes!

As of this juncture we do not know if Pentax has chosen a CMOS or a CCD chip. With the sluggish economy, whatever they choose will help the small company, Pentax (compared to Canon and the big boys). Why?, because of all the K mount owners out there waiting to attach. It is the same aspect ratio we are used to for prints.

What would really be compelling is if the rear LCD screen offers real time view, instead of post exposure view. Then that would be the only DSLR doing so: an advantage regarding recording/not recording what one does (not) see wanted in advance of exposure. Will the LCD view further sub-segment to see sections of an image to ensure sharpness and detail ? This further saves shooting memory and exposure time. FYI, Pentax USA has less information on the unit than we find on the internet. As of today there is no product number, release date, nor ISO range posted. It is clear from the anticipation of the unit written by you guys that we are biting at the bit.

As of this date we have a PMA prototype. We are trusting the market trends that what we see will in fact appear. Pentax will follow-up, but when?

Japan has placed destroyers between it and North Korea, with fears over the announcement of a bomb within a few months (they have no diplomatic relations, and Japan ruled Korea and was so resented through WWII). Korea already has missles for warhead delivery, and a leader who has "20,000 slasher type" horror films as his own viewing preference in his personal library. Some say he'll sell to terrorists, just to watch the horror show and feel some part in orchestration. This development could destablize the region, and further delay Pentax release/delivery dates. All of the above TBA.

By the way, if you have shutter problems get them fixed stat, there are no longer available shutter parts for the LX beyond what repair stations have in stock. Repair service continuance will be based on any applicable parts availability. --Jay

3. From : Anton (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 03:50 AM Friday 14 March, 2003

OPTICLEAN DISASTER... Well nearly

Firstly let me say the rear element is now pristine looking and the SMC coating is in tact but...

Opticlean recommend that you leave a 1mm gap between the edge of the viscous fluid and the mount for the element, (they also suggest that you practise). The problem with the recessed element is that I found this impossible to do partly due to access and partly because the element is convex and the fluid - though viscous - runs. I duly got the fluid right up to the mount. Now when I came to peel it off, it came off the main body of the glass and the glass looked fantastically clean (and no rubbing involved) however removing the icky bits around the edge went from bad to worse. Opticlean suggest using a wooden toothpick moistened with water, apparently this softens the Opticlean and off it comes... oh no it doesn't, well not in my case. To cut a long story short, I tried re-coating and lifting again (as suggested) I then tried 'washing' it off with damp cotton buds. This had the effect of spreading the diluted stuff all over the rear element, which now looked much worse than when I started. It was about now that I started to get depressed, I considered giving up - before I ruined it - and booking the lens in to a professional. I had one more idea, I tested the effect of lens cleaning fluid on the Opticlean with a wine glass to see what sort of chemical reaction might ensue, would Hans Blix be paying me a visit? The lens cleaner seemed to dilute the substance rather better than water so I decided to keep 'washing' until it was all gone. I was extremely careful and went through loads of tissue making sure I was swabbing with fresh tissue. An hour or so later I had a pristine rear element, luckily no scratches no smear and SMC undamaged.

I'm sure Opticlean is a great product and if you could stop it going to the edges (maybe a simply a ring of card around the circumference?) then I reckon you have the least stressful (for the lens) most thorough means of cleaning. It pulls of easily and I doubt it would lift the coating, certainly less so than rubbing.

As for me, I don't know that I'll be using it again I can't take the agro. I might try it on an old lens with my card idea. I've been foolish, I really should have practised first as I said I would. I'm simply relieved that my new 500mm is back in business.

A shakey AB

4. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 01:09 AM Friday 14 March, 2003

Anton,
I do not know that product in particular, but if you say "paint it on and peel!" hmm...... Recently I`ve lost a tiny part of SMC coating (obout 1/3 mm in diameter) on the rear element of my 24mm F.2.0 without ANY particular reason. I was cleaning the rear element with utmost care, (lens tissue, lens cleaner) but... I also have a feeling that SMC coating on later lenses is better opticaly, but less resistant to damage than on older lenses. So, I would not take any chance by "lifting" any sticky product off the lens surface, since you could lift the nice slice of SMC coating too. Just my opinion.

5. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 06:43 PM Thursday 13 March, 2003

Nice to know that you're already leaving beer, chocolate and grease stains on that lovely 500 4.5, Anton!

I've been using good quality chamois leather (the soft side only) for the past twenty years on all lens surfaces. I use a seperate chamois for taking moisture of camera body or lens outer parts.

Very occasionally I've used a Pro-lens spray, but only on stubborn outer lens marks. Blow any dust away with soft lens brush first. Be VERY gentle with that rubbing, Anton, and try to clean from outside rim of glass towards middle in circular strokes. Also make sure you are in a dry and dust-free location as possible (not always easy to find in a smoky bar......!).....and keep way from salt-blown surf and sand on the beach this weekend!

6. From : Anton (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 03:47 PM Thursday 13 March, 2003

Not specifically LX, but has anyone had any experience with OptiClean? I currently use (very carefully) lens tissues and a solvent cleaner (designed for lenses) this works well but tends to leave smearing. OptiClean's claims are very impressive and tempting. Paint it on, peel it off and your lenses are molecularly pristine. None of that dangerous rubbing and wiping. Think I'll give it a try on a 135 f3.5 (must be the least expensive SMC I or anyone owns) and if it works, move on to the hard to reach rear element of my new 500 f4.5 that I've managed to clean but smear.

AB

7. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 08:21 PM Wednesday 12 March, 2003

A few pointers that make intersting reading on new Penax DSLR: "........An APS-sized 6.1MP CCD sensor is employed, following the similar trend set by Fujifilm with the FinePix S1/S2 Pro, Canon D30/D60 and Nikon D-series models.

This means that when you use 35mm system lenses, there is a focal length shift of 50%, making a 28mm wide angle, for example, behave more like a 42mm near-standard lens. But Pentax is very keen to point out that the pentaprism in the viewfinder optical path has been redesigned to match the sensor size instead of simply masking the focus screen. This should mean that the *ist D will present its user with a spacious and bright view through the finder, comparable to a typical films SLR, which is not something all DSLRs can claim......
On the power side, four AA batteries or a pair of disposable CR-V3 lilthium batteries can be used. Pentax is planning to include a pro-style rechargeable battery pack/grip in the accessory line up as well....."

The 'bright veiwfinder' with special sensor sounds good, and that Pro-style battery pack is interesting, although the abiltiy it has of also using CRV AND AA batteries is a boon for us travelling photographers.

8. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 08:04 PM Wednesday 12 March, 2003

The prototype new Pentax *istD was shown at the PMA 2003 show recently. It looks like a nice camera, almost a Nikon look about it, but petite in the hands( I hope not too small, although the added vetical grip should help handling when in combination with big lenses). Backward compatability with ALL previous Pentax SMC bayonet lenses (and also screwfit, or even 645, and 67 with added adapaters) makes this a nice tool for Pentax owners to enter the SLRD arena.

There are also rumours of a more pro-grade DSLR from Pentax in the future, but in the meantime I might have a go with this little beauty. Price will be around $1,600, which maens probably £1,500 on UK market when launched (with the the inevatible drop in price - as ALL digital bodies do - 6-months after launch).

9. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 12:39 AM Tuesday 11 March, 2003

Anton, regarding MZ-M screens, it is about LX`s screen frame that causes that. There is a slight difference between them, and the same screen does not fit the same on the different LX body. But, not a big deal as you said. Mico

10. From : Anton (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 03:56 AM Monday 10 March, 2003

I have just offered a 77mm filter up to the 15mm SMC-A. The filter fits sloppily, it won't stay in place but I imagine it might with a rubber band or similar around the filter thread or indeed a fattish rubber band around the outside of the filter and lens would do it. The filter may well cause vignetting though as it raises the edge of the petal by some millimeters and raises the cut-outs quite considerably. Might be okay at small apertures - if remember when I have the oppotunity I shall try it and report.

Regarding the MZ-M focussing screen, I have three fitted, one is perfect, the other two don't quite cover the entire viewfinder, along the bottom there is the faintest shadow. I don't know if this is due to variations in the screens or the cameras (I suspect the cameras) but I can live with this (It took me a while to even notice) paricularly when I consider the benefits of clean, bright, non-blacking out screens with a wonderful fine ground area all for a fiver. My original screens were a bit 'bruised' and needed changing but £30 a shot put me off. AB

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.