PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : Robert Clark (robertclark@vsnl.net)
Url : http://
Date : 01:46 PM Monday 29 September, 2003

Jay, the religious comments were meant as a joke, but that aside there is a strong element of belief in your supportive statement for Pentax.

Most of what you say that is positive about the company lies in the somewhat speculative future - for instance whether the new digital is robust remains to be seen, whether they actually improve their zooms, likewise, and whether they actually come out with IS we will have to wait for that too. I have no argument with the excellence of their earlier stable of lenses from the sixties to the eighties,(exept for zooms) nor with those more exotic ones that are still available new today. My point resides more in what happened to Pentax in their change to autofocus and how they got left behind by the useful innovations from other manufacturers that have come on the market since then. It is this that has left Pentax somewhat stranded, with uninteresting consumer grade bodies, no good zooms (two partial exceptions)and a real time lag before taking up useful new technology: (IS).

I don't want to claim they are a 'no good' company, but I do want to make the point that they have noticeably slipped behind the competition giving little reason for many people to either stick with them or join them. When they had backward lens compatibility there was a reason for those with their glass to trust in the future and buy their new bodies, now even this reason has gone. I would suggest that a realistic appraisal, as the market stands today, for those who want versatile, quality equipment, would give little or no incentive to go for Pentax. I can understand Ian's desire for the LX - when it works well it is a superb camera, and being that he is happy to use older high quality lenses and is on a budget, it could be just what he needs. My only advice for him was to consider the future costs of building a larger system - with Nikon you can still buy a new reliable body, similar to the LX (though obviously to him not as appealing) and build an extensive lens system more easily and cheaply than with older Pentax stuff.

2. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 07:35 AM Monday 29 September, 2003

Ian, Well, you are on the LX Guestbook, and we usually do not require that you do the math to be here; but, if you'll read below you'll find a summary of reasons addressed to Robert to still consider Pentax (by me). It may now be bumped back a page. But to read it you've got to do the math (registering and figuring out what is actually written there). As this is the LX forum it pretty much begins with that era's cameras then adds forward. The bottom line is not yet to be summed. Save that for next year's homework. --Jay

3. From : Ian (ian@ity.co.uk)
Date : 06:32 AM Monday 29 September, 2003

Look, it's like this. Nikon used to make the best full size (studio, press) SLR's in the world. Pentax used to make the best small (field) SLR's in the world. If your an Olympus owner, shut-up, I haven't finished talking yet. If your a Canon owner, I don't care, your having your time now. It's a classic case of "horses for courses". I remember that Nikon owners loved the presteige of the "name" and that Pentax owners didn't get any kudos unless the audience remembered SLR's in the 50's and 60's (Spotmatics etc). Do your history if your lacking respect for Pentax - SLR, TLR Metering, SMC etc etc. As for now? I have no idea. Who ever was waffling about "Technological progression" earlier, was right. I hope Pentax come back with something impressive, I'm sure they are more than capable of it. Things change. I've used everything from Cambo SC 5x4's to a Rollei 35, including F2AS's, OM1's and home made pin-hole cams. I'm now (returning to photography after a long break) and I want an LX. If you can't work out why, your in the wrong forum. There are 32,768 other forums to choose from. I'm in the LX forum, right?

4. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 05:39 AM Monday 29 September, 2003

Robert, Help me out here; didn't you ask what there was to recommend them now? In answering this question I did not realize that I was somehow messing with your world view and ideas about religion. To me it is just about a subject in the material world. For me it was not so deep an issue, just a question about a competitive camera company's viability, which required an objective response. --Jay

5. From : Ian (ian@ity.co.uk)
Date : 05:35 AM Monday 29 September, 2003

Hal Davis, Frankly I'm disgusted. You pop into this forum, name-dropping "LX Motor Drive" and such. How dare you! Some of us (um, me) don't even own an LX! (yet). Hold you head in shame! Try this link - http://members.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/pentax_nicd_pack/ ,Hope this is of some help.

6. From : Robert Clark (robertclark@vsnl.net)
Date : 03:09 AM Monday 29 September, 2003

Sorry Jay, I hadn't realised that your devotion was becomming religious - please don't put a fatwah out on me. I promise I will believe in Pentax in future - I believe they will single handedly solve all remaining photographic gear issues and develop better zooms than anyone else, I believe, I believe. The future belongs to Pentax. Hail.

7. From : Hal Davis (hdd@revealed.net)
Date : 01:52 AM Monday 29 September, 2003

Would someone please advise the procedure for replacing the NiCad batteries in battery pack LX for the motor drive? Is there service available for these? Foam has gone sticky as well. Help!!

8. From : Jay (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 09:42 PM Sunday 28 September, 2003

Norbert, With all its moving parts, and careful photographic logic even the LX and older lenses are about technology. Better technology than lightstruck memory-holding CDS or earlier meters, better technology than screw mounts with aperture push pins, better techology than cloth shutters and pin holes. Technology is the foundation too of ever-evolving sensitive materials, and new forms of manufacturing--making electronics do what mechanics once did, etc.

And competition coupled with technology is why we have digital filmless light sensitive sensors at all. So, it seems technology and competition are a part of the real world. An aesthetic, a technology, an appreciative user audience, and an economy: all these are intertwined to give us the phenomena of photography. Of course digital is not where it will be, but to date has released the pro from the lab link and its journies, where so. Chemistry is not totally divorced from the shift, as ink jet and other inks are now work station resident, without the accompanying lab stink at home. Because medium format backs produce 48 MB digital files, with only a couple of MP larger sensor chip than the current Kodak 35mm DSLR, and because that file size is standard for publication needs, the handwriting is on the wall. This is not to say that the LX is not marvelous. But you have to read my last comments as a response to Robert's challenge as to why not write off Pentax as a stupid enterprize. Why not open up tunnel vision to include what is presenting all over the map? --Jay

What is not acknowledged is that technology is always changing, in some sense advancing. True, unlike intelligent users, technology does not make the aesthetic or creative choices, users of it do. Technology without appropriate choices can create totalitarian governments who use its means to genocide its enemies (and freedom in the process).

9. From : Anton (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 08:38 PM Sunday 28 September, 2003

Here here. (this is an English expression meaning: Right on... or I agree)

10. From : Norbert DL (norbert_O@notthisone.com)
Date : 05:25 PM Sunday 28 September, 2003

Oh .. I would like to congratulate the creator of this site. It is a marvelous web resources on photography. The classic SLR series in this malaysian site, in particular - is a real gem on the web. The LX board here is equally wonderful for cross references. The maintainers are doing a great job. Thank you for keeping it running.

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.