PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : jouko ouramo (jouramo@hotmail.com)
Url : http://
Date : 06:03 PM Tuesday 17 September, 2002

Help needed. I received a used Lx winder and attached it to my Lx. As I tested the operation the winder moved the film forward and the "red point" beside the shutter button became red, but the camera would not shoot...the shootbutton went down but did not release the shutter. Then I turned the winder off and then again on - the camera shooted. Could somebody tell what can be done to get the camera with winder shoot correctly.

2. From : Alan Clayton (radioaktiv@radioaktiv.co.uk)
Url : http://radioaktiv.co.uk
Date : 12:01 AM Tuesday 17 September, 2002

Re: "I'd like to ask how you all think the Pentax LX compares to the Nikon Fm2 or Fm3". Here are my opinions based on many years of use of both Pentax and Nikon kit: The LX knocks spots off the Nikon FM2 - there is just no comparison. The LX is far more capable, more durable, better built and (often) cheaper. Pentax lenses are not always as good as Nikkors, however. (But even Nikon made some "naff" lenses). The LX certainly does NOT have "quirky" metering - it is arguably as good as you will ever get from a centre-weighted system. The Nikon FM2 is rather over-rated (Canon & Minolta, etc made comparable cameras), it has a crude viewfinder display and is quite dim to see through. A "better" camera than the LX or FM2 is the Nikon FA, which has excellent AMP/matrix metering: however it too has a poorly designed (and rather dim) viewfinder display. Apart from the Nikon F3, the closest Nikon camera to the LX was the FE2. The (equally over-rated I.M.O.) FM3 is basically an FE2. My personal preferences (based on what I own/use) are: best HANDLING: Pentax MX ("slick") best metering and overall package: Nikon FA ("capable") best Aperture Priority (etc) camera using Pentax lenses: Pentax LX ("solid") best Aperture Priority (etc) camera using Nikkor lenses: Nikon FE/FE2 ("dependable") greatest SATISFACTION in using any camera: Nikkormat FT2 best pictures: ones taken with a decent camera and fully working braincells! BUT . . the ULTIMATE QUESTION: which lenses do you have/want/can afford? After answering that question the choice of camera is rather narrow.

3. From : Alan Clayton (radioaktiv@radioaktiv.co.uk)
Url : http://radioaktiv.co.uk
Date : 11:11 PM Monday 16 September, 2002

Stiff winder on Pentax LX

No way should it be stiff. It should be positive and free from grunting/grinding noises. Both my LX's are just as you'd expect from ANY decent camera. One of these was recently serviced by Pentax. So just go tell him he's talking TOSH!

4. From : wayne (wdwillis@ozemail.com.au)
Date : 02:51 PM Saturday 14 September, 2002

my lx is very stiff to wind infact it feels like it is going to stretch the film is this normal
the guy i bought it from says it is
wayne

5. From : Mud (again) (phony_address@yahoo.com)
Date : 12:28 AM Monday 02 September, 2002

Hi people. Sorry about that last message. I found the instructions manual on this site. It was a bit late and my head wasn't clear, as I was basically a zombie.

I'd like to ask how you all think the Pentax LX compares to the Nikon Fm2 or Fm3. The LX seems to have at least one function over the Fm2 or 3 with the automatic shutter speed ability, but how do the metering systems compare? I should just shoot a bit with it, but I've got projects to finish with my N80 (which I'm very happy with), not to mention that I'm such a novice I'd like to have some of your more learned opinions.

Are there any quirks to know about the LX (tendancy to over/underexpose?). My photo professor who seems to know everything about every camera ever made could answer this, but he hasn't spoken to me since I had an argument with his wife. I do know however that *he* shoots with an Fm2, so for that reason alone I feel compelled to think that it's a superior camera.

Am I wrong?

I apologize to you all for my ignorance, but I hope I receive some replies. I promise not to litter this board or anyone who replies with annoying little questions. This message will be my last. Thank you very much.

Mud.

6. From : Mud (phony_address@yahoo.com)
Date : 03:21 PM Sunday 01 September, 2002

Hi there. I feel very stupid for asking this, but I'm new to photography and currently own a Nikon N80. I did, however, discover a Pentax LX in my cousin's closet. I was considering purchasing a Nikon Fm3 because I have wanted a manual for a while, but since I've found this little gem, the Fm3 is history.

Ahem, but one thing, I can't seem to find the manual anywhere and I'm having trouble with... opening the camera in order to remove the film (which was still in the camera). I've fumbled my way through the other functions, and this site has helped immensely, but I just can't open the damned camera. I'm comfortable with this camera in every other aspect. I know, I sound like such a fool.

Is there an owner's manual anywhere online?

Many thanks.

7. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 12:11 AM Saturday 24 August, 2002

Robert,

From my experience, it is almost impossible to do fill-in flash using LX and dedicated Pentax flash on TTL mode.

Reason No.1 : LX has average, center- weighted metering, and does not have memory switch, as you, of course, know. So, with any back- light, exposure reading will be well above 1/60, the bottom line for LX to engage TTL flash. If you use very small F-stop to put shutter speed bellow 1/60 in back- lite e.g. F.16, 22 , you will get dull, tunel-like back ground. If you manage AT ALL to put shutter speed so low with ISO 400 or higher film sensitivity. And beside all, you can never be 100% shure that actual shutter speed is not, for instance, 1/62, and that flash will fire at all.

Reason No.2 : As soon as you touch ISO compensation on LX, you are far away from any correct exposure with TTL flash. Especially if you use that to "foul" LX to go down bellow 1/60 in back-lite, since you need at least 2 or even more F stops to achieve that. And as a result, LX will calculate correct TTL exposure according to that correction and you will get 2 or more F. stops over- exposed, useless images. So, any "foul" compensation will affect final TTL exposure, and you are the one who was "fouled" at the end!

My suggestion: obtain one good non-dedicated thyristor flash with a wide sellection of different F-stop settings on computer mode. For example, I work with Nikon SB-24. SB-25 and 26 are about the same regarding that And do not worry, it will not burn your LX`s circuits, since Nikon flash contacts do not fit LX`s flash contacts. Other non-dedicated flash units, like Metz, Vivitar etc. do not have TTL contact at all. After that, you can work freely from any interuptions from LX. Just keep shutter speed dial on 1/75, or lower if you need, adjust exposure on LX by aperture to play around desired shutter speed and than apply adequate F.stop setting on your non-dedicated flash. You can play with desired F.stop on your flash to achieve desired fill in flash effect or specific balance of foreground and background. That why it is important to have a wide selection of F.
stops on flash along the film sensitivity range, in order to fit any posible exposure situation. I am able to balance so sensitive situations like shoting slide in extreme backlite. Your only limit in this case is low max. flash synchronisation on LX, but that is something that we can not fix! And of course, for any non-critical flash situation , keep your Pentax dedicated flash and enjoy ease and reliable TTL flash. Just, watch-out too dark or too bright background.
Cheers, Mico

8. From : Lindy (adkinstone@earthlink.net)
Date : 07:00 AM Friday 23 August, 2002

Ken I had not noticed the many millenium pics here, Thanks! More news on my quest for a easier to use body with my AMAZING 15mm 3.5 SMC rectilinear pentax non A setting lense. I spoke to the local pentax rep who was down from Denver and he told me the ZX L will meter the K-mount non A setting glass and in fact would also meter the screw mounts and also screw mounts have infinity focus on the K-mount adapter. So yesterday I got a ZX L and I will replace the ZX-50 my wife was using the last 3 years to recoup some funds. I think its great that Pentax has come out with an autofocus body that will stop down these early K mounts down and meter the screw mounts. Still have not found a Black KX or LX that I really liked money-wise and condition-wise so this ZX L will do for now. And it came with a 5 year parts and labor warantee. The wife loves her new Camera and so do I. Lindy

9. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 01:30 AM Friday 23 August, 2002

Hello Gene, This is Mico,
Your expalnation is wery interesting, but not really related to what I am trying to tell. First, fact that your camera switched to 1/50 when you set it to 1/2 second is actually what I am trying to say. You CAN NOT fire 1/2 sec. with LX as long as any dedicated flash is on LX, and turned on. It will always be 1/50 (on TTL) or 1/60 when dedicated flash is set on any other metering mode. Only way to override that is to set dedicated flash on MANUAL mode. And there is realy not any more metering other than calculating distance, F.stop, and film sensitivity. Like in old good times... Or you can cut ceratin wires inside the flash, what I`ve done once, desperatelly trying to override fixed shutter speed! I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND
THAT TO ANYONE! . Fact that you obtained different power from dedicated flash on TTL with different F stops, while LX not on AUTO mode, still does not prove anything! Getting DIFFERENT and CORECT exposure is not the same. As "Pentax" manual (and on-field experience ) say, "...you will not obtain correct meter reading with TTL, other than LX`s shutter speed set on AUTO" . Theory of TTL working properly on 1/75 doesn not work for me, maybe I am just too peeky about exact exposure... Did you try that test by putting the ISO 50 slide film inside your LX and taking some actual pictures? And did you obtain pin-point exposures? I would like to know that... Also, when I`ve said that flash would discharge completely when on TTL, that was if flash was taken OFF the camera.
And I will finish my contribution to that issue, with following statement: I use flash primarily for news and action photography, and I use it pretty often. I`ve allready sacrificed fill-in flash (many years ago) just in order to keep my LX-s. If you shot macro, still-life, still objects in general, and you do not need to balance light with distant back-ground , LX`s TTL flash is remarkable! Than, you do not have to care about shutter speed, take care of too white or too dark back-ground, and that is it. But, if you have to balance foreground with remote background, for which you offten need long shutter speeds, or to do fill-in flash, that is another story. For me, LX is absolyte must regarding reliability and ruggednes. So, I am not trying to spit on my favourite camera, I am just trying to help people better understanding limits and capabilities of that great camera. I `ve kept one of my AF280 S, which I use on TTL with LX for above mentioned purposes (macro, still etc.) But, for fill-in flash, I am still waiting for an answer from people who know how to do that.

10. From : Ken Rothchild (kroth99@yahoo.com)
Date : 12:28 AM Thursday 22 August, 2002

Lindy: Relating to those images found on the Ebay auction, I noticed there was already a section featuring the Pentax LX Millennium modelhere in this malaysian site (not KX...) See: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/pentaxy2k/index.htm
In fact, you can see more than a dozen of them with individual enlarged views on the next page (I missed that during my first visit):
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/pentaxy2k/htmls/index.htm I am taking the oppurtunity to congratulate the creator for his great work in making photography website possible. I like all the various featured classic SLR camera models.

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.