PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Url : http://
Date : 10:55 AM Friday 24 January, 2003

Could somebodu help me with this (John?)
I have to order part for my LX and I can not find my LX`s mechanical Cross Section ( I think somebodu has borrowed it from me some time ago...) I need the confirmation for the part number B28. It is supposed to be the peace of rubber that serves as a elastic rest for the lever that stops down the lens during eposure (the same lever goes up when the mirror is locked up.) It is placed inside the mirror box, on the left if you look at the open bayonet mount, and only very small part of it is visible from outside. I do not have so much time, and I would appreciate very much answer from someone who has the LX`s Cross Secrion. Thank`s, Mico

2. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 06:33 AM Friday 24 January, 2003

Jorge, How I got John's name mixed up in replying to your question, I'll never know. Sorry about that. -- Jay

3. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 06:19 AM Friday 24 January, 2003

John, et al, - An ed (ED) element is placed in its chosen group inside the lens barrel within an optical formula advanced to deal with the AL problem (that is the aprochromatic lens problem). It is an element ground from "extra low dispersion" optical glass, or "low dispersion" optical glass, such as flourite, or barrium, or ground from some other specially made hybred optical glass block (Hoya and Shott are glass makers who make such blocks for clients like lensmakers). Its imaging light pass-through purpose is to bring the primary colors into relatively the same focus at the focal plane, where the film emulsion facing the back of the mounted lens is located. Without it, using only non-ED elements, the primary colors will be often focused slightly in advance of the actual film plane, and monochrome light will be the only imaging light actually "in sharp focus" at the film plane. This makes for an apparent lack of color sharpness, or snap--especially toward the corners of an image, with longer ED element free lenses (as such with primarily cheaper long lenses of after market manufacturers).

An ED element is used most often in constant aperture telephoto zooms of a reasonable zoom ratio, say 3 or 3.5: 1, or in wide aperture long teles. This makes for great transparency photography. Transparencies, until about five years ago, were the primary source of publishable images for magazine work (Globetrotter's fame, in the game fishing world, with its considerable devotees, FYI).

Canon made this select element use famous initially in the 1970s for its long teles, used in nature photography, followed by Nikon, then everyone else (remember the National Geographic ads at the beginning or end of an issue featuring these long lenses for the F1 system, usually with an image of a wild bird or an exotic African animal: always showing color snap?). Its use helped/helps reduce the necessary size of long prime lenses a bit. The A star series of Pentax lenses generally employ one or more ED elements. The first K mount Pentax long lenses did not have such an element, and were quite large, and long, but very good. People often had them adapted to Nikon, Leica, or Canon for, at the time, dollar-for-dollar, they were bargain lenses which produced professional results. ED glass has been combined with other resin bonded element(s) in lens designs by aftermarket manufacurters of recent vintage in greater coverage "all-in-one" zooms (e.g., in some 24 or 28 to 200 or 300mm zooms ), or in extreme wide angle zooms: to tackel the various problems of lens and barrel design relative to changing the area of coverage, inherent light falloff away from imaging center, imaging distortion lens design factors, and to overcome poor performance at both ends of the extreme zoom spectrum. As Globetrotter notes, the extreme range zooms are not very good (perhaps the Tamron 28 to 300 may be a slight bit better, with its use of hybrids and ED?), and once results are seen, could scare someone away from zooms altogether--if they lacked constant aperture reasonable zoom ratio zoom lens experience from the major manufacturers. The "all in one zooms" have a common market for amateur photographers, but prove too common for publication work.

So, an ED element is not a cure-all for color film plane resolution issues, but, it is a sure upgrade to increase color fidelity, and resolution: all other lens design factors equal. Looking for lenses employing these elements in the Pentax system primarily begins with the M series, in some very select instances, increases in incorporation with the A star series, and is used in wider and consistent aperture long lenses and long lens zooms in the F and FA star series. Read for the complete specifications of an actual lens before you buy new or used. Long lenses of any quality are quite expensive, but very valuable for their dedicated applications. However, most people will hardly ever shoot above 200-300mm in a lifetime. Remember, for hand holding, the shutter speed has to approximate the focal length or a shakey image will result.

Contrast is generally good in such lenses for film use. The jury is not yet in as to the various digital camera chip types and designs--now coming out in 35mm film size too--as to getting the "film look", with acceptable contrast and snap with these cameras. Shadow detail is sometimes better, but often worse. Look carefully at the various manufacturers' ads and brochures, and compare their publication images to film originated images. Currently they seem to be slightly less in color fidelity and variable light rendering quality to those originated on transparency film, but, cameras coming out now and this summer can change all this. The area of highlights has been panned in reviews as to the type of chip Canon uses, a non-CCD chip, but imaging smoothness is superior over the CCD chips as are used most commonly for digital SLRs. Apparently there will be an upgrade offered using the Canon used type chip which Pentax will begin to advertise late spring. There, in fact, may be two SLRs coming forth from Pentax, one with the smaller size chip, common to date, at a cheaper price, and one with a 35mm size chip, for publication use. I am wondering the most what current line film SLRs will survive the technology shift at Pentax. --Jay

4. From : John (jillyandjohn@lineone.net)
Date : 02:35 AM Friday 24 January, 2003

Hi.Just a quick word to say I am an experienced repairer of some Pentax SLRs including the Me-Super,MV1,ME,MX,MG,K1000 and a few others.If you want advice or a repair please let me know.I am based in England.
Regards,
John

5. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 02:33 AM Friday 24 January, 2003

Peter,

You are right about LX`s flash synchronisation speeds (from "X" and bellow) with your Metz, except for AUTO setting. AUTO setting on LX is fine only with dedicated TTL flash units.
Hope this helps, Mico

6. From : Peter (p.smekal@telia.com)
Date : 04:23 PM Thursday 23 January, 2003

A local dealer has a "minty-looking" flash, the Metz Mecablitz 32 CT 3, to a very good price. Has anyone used it together with an LX?

The dealer let me check the operaring instructions. It does not seem to work in TTL but in "automatic mode" with three distance ranges. Three f-numbers can be selected on the camera.

What shutter speed(s) on the LX then? According to its manual
synchonization should work with the dial set at "Automatic" or at manual speeds from "X" to "B". You think that should work? Thanks for any advice!

Peter

Peter Smekal
Uppsala, Sweden
p.smekal@telia.com

7. From : Jorge Nunez (jnunez@ap.org)
Date : 01:44 AM Thursday 23 January, 2003

Jay,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
You refer to an "ed element." What is that?

Globetrotter,

Can you give us any ISBN numbers of books you've written? I would be interested in them. You can E-mail them if this is not within protocol of the web site.

tnx

Jorge

8. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 02:14 AM Wednesday 22 January, 2003

After about six months of non-use, I again today packed the original F series metal barreled 70-210, with 49 mm filter size (and an ed element). It is an f 4 to 5.6, not a 4.5 to 5.6, as reported below. Sorry, though absence of use makes the heart grow fonder, it makes the brain recall fuzzier. I have to pack into the Never Summer wilderness, so its compactness will be essential. --Jay

9. From : choeN (not@this.one)
Date : 01:47 PM Tuesday 21 January, 2003

THanks Jay, very informative.

10. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 07:18 AM Friday 17 January, 2003

Correction: A minor reference to a 28-80 f 2.8 FA Pentax in my comments, should read 28-70 f 2.8 FA Pentax. Pardons to all

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.