PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Url : http://
Date : 10:18 PM Saturday 08 May, 2004

My God, I've had enough of all this testing.

I'm trying to see if I can get to the bottom of this unreliability that I suspect must affect all LX's to a greater or lesser extent. I suspect Mico is right and it's a bug that is inherent and un-fixable end of story - though I'd dearly love to extensively test and LX 2000 to see if it's age related in any way. I thought the exposure terminating with the rotation of the ISO dial might be significant because the vibration of the shutter opening will microscopically vibrate the ISO dial and this therefore seems a prime suspect. When the camera is on the long electronic speeds rotating the dial doesn't terminate the exposure, neither does this happen on B so it's an Auto thing. The termination on rotation happens on all four of my LX's three late ones with meter switch on and one late-ish one without. Erratic shutter on Auto has happened on all LX's that have passed through my hands (7) despite being 'fooled' by my current ones. A poll of the PDML returned about 60% of owners experiencing it and maybe the other 40% didn't test properly or long enough. It happens mainly on high ISO's but some examples display the behaviour at all ISO's. Today one of my cameras refuses to do it even on 3200 but it might do it just as I'm taking that once in a lifetime shot - you get my frustration. I guess for reliability I could look at the LX as a non-auto, non-TTL camera!!! Unless I find and answer to this I shan't bother the list with this rather depressing matter any more.

Just one final question: What's my moral position if I decide to sell, should I mention the erratic shutter syndrome or should I consider that all LX's do this anyway and thus I can list mine as functioning properly - bear in mind that it's likely that all LX's offered for sale will behave this way but the seller is probably blissfully unaware. AB

2. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrottterworld@hotmail.com)
Url : http://www.globetrotterworld.co.uk
Date : 05:20 PM Saturday 08 May, 2004

Why would anyone want to move the ISO dial DURING a long exposure in actual picture-taking circumstances?(I understand that you are trying to test your metering and shutter, in this case). You would move it prior to the exposure, even during shorter shutter speeds. I would think that both the dial release button and the dial itself have connections to the metering system and would always terminate the exposure if they were pressed or moved 'during' exposure. Have you tried the same during a shorter exposure in a dark room, or on a dull day with ISO set on 50 and aperture closed to f22? Is there a differnce when this is done to an older LX with no metering connection to the prism button when compared to later models? Do ALL LX models, even new 2000 LX's terminate exposure if you twist the ISO dial actually after the shutter curtains have opened and before they have closed? Have you tried the same procedure after pressing the shutter button and twisting the high collar (on later LX models) so that the shutter button remains in the down postion?

3. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 08:37 AM Saturday 08 May, 2004

Mico, my disappointment is because I was sure the LX bodies that I kept were free of this problem so it was a bit of a shock to discover that they all have it to some extent... bummer. I too doubted the ISO dial, mainly because Robin installed a new one (along with CPU) on my really bad LX (very late model) to no avail. How do you explain the fact that rotating the ISO dial during an exposure on Auto with body cap on will terminate the exposure - at least on my three examples it does; this does seem suspicious. Of course this may be an additional behaviour unrelated to the erratic shutter. I guess what your saying is that if I want to own and use LX's I have to accept that they are fundamentally unreliable and nothing can be done. This is a bitter pill. AB

4. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 05:38 AM Saturday 08 May, 2004

Anton, ISO dial is not the case here, I can put both my hands in fire. It was my first target many years ago, but without any succes. I am not surprised that erratic flash TTL is following erratic AUTO speeds since the same system is controling both. As we discussed many times here, syndrome is very strange and cause is in fact unknown(?)even to Pentax technicians. BTW, you can clean ISO dial bu rotating dial and cotton swab inserted through one of the holes on ISO dial ring (inside the body, of course). Tip has to be bended a bit to reach "arround the corner", but not a big deal. M.

5. From : AB (handmaid@fsmail.net)
Date : 11:09 PM Friday 07 May, 2004

I have had a bit of a disappointing time with my LX's. My out and about LX (very good condition late model used with the 35-105 zoom in long nose case) started playing up by not always firing the flash, even in pitch black. This one also suffers from erratic shutter on auto from 800 ISO up. The erratic shutter I've learned to live with on this camera as I use no higher than 400 ISO film and supplement with TTL flash id needed... but erratic flash as well... too much to take. So I decided to send it in (it was serviced by Jessops when I bought it 3-4 years ago). Before sending it I decided to test my other bodies (all late models). To my disappointment all of them have the erratic shutter on Auto, sometimes very rarely but all are capable.

Here's something I stumbled across and you might like to try it and report: Put the lens cap (or body cap) on so no light reaches the sensor, put the camera on Auto and fire the shutter - this should result in the shutter staying open indefinitely or at least several minutes. Depress the catch and slowly turn the ISO dial. On all my bodies this will terminate the exposure!! Maybe this bugbear of the LX is related to the ISO dial. I know there are problems with this dial that usually results in flickering or erratic readings and exposure but perhaps even a 'healthy' dial can cause the erratic shutter problem.

Robin is going to thoroughly clean this dial and see what gives - on my famous troublesome LX he replaced the dial and it made no difference but even new dials will be some twenty years old and might have some contamination on the tracks. The problem is that you can't open the dial to clean it you have to squirt in fluid and rotate, not the most efficient of means. Well, I'm a bit fed up as I'm finding it difficult to trust the LX. My 1969 Pentax 6X7 just does the job, okay frame spacing isn't brilliantly even but I set the aperture and shutter speed and press the button and the jobs done every time. I have only missed a few shots on the LX's due to erratic shutter or flash (which may be linked) but it doesn't inspire confidence.

6. From : Adam Salatkhanov (adam@rambler.ru)
Url : ---
Date : 04:49 PM Thursday 06 May, 2004

We offer the BOP (Blow out preventers), on compatible prices from the company of CAMERON and UPETROM, either in working condition and from under repairing or the new ones from the warehouse in the city of Ras Al Khaimah (United Arab Emirates): Cameron the type U, 1) 13"" 5/8 10000 PSI, Doubles, Ram Cavity with pipe bonnets (4 rams - 2 pairs), size 127mm and 140mm. 2) 11"" 1/32 10000 PSI, Doubles, Ram Cavity with pipe bonnets (4 rams - 2 pairs), size 127mm and 140mm. We have a possibility to supply you with a large number of American drilling equipment (rotors, control panels, sets of blowout equipment etc.) Upetron 1) BOPs - doubles, ram cavity, 280x700 (new and used) - 6 pieces 2) BOPs - annular, 180x700 (in perfect condition) - 5 pieces Please apply with your request to the e-mail of STIGL F.Z.E. Company : adam@rambler.ru or call the mobil phone in UAE: 971 50 366 2004, 971 50 369 69 85 In Russia: 7 928 907 99 02, 7 928 238 07 27, The STIGL Ltd Company.

7. From : Ian (ian@ity.co.uk)
Date : 05:45 AM Thursday 06 May, 2004

Jay, one of the problems I have with digital cameras is colour. Specifically the issue of the colour information being interpolated (Bayer). I have, with some cameras, been disappointed with this "faking" of the recorded colour. This, coupled with JPG lossy spacial compression gives a "look" that once noticed, is hard to forgive (not using JPG renders many cameras impractical). I find the analogue noise (grain) produced by film to be far more pleasing to the eye. I'm also noticing that the pro-sumer (non-SLR) cameras have reached 8MP resolution, but are paying the price with an increase in noise and the addition of noise in the red as well as the traditional problems with blue (channels). I still think that there is a very long way to go with digital. Fascinating, never the less. - Ian.

8. From : Ian (ian@ity.co.uk)
Date : 05:43 AM Thursday 06 May, 2004

Ian, I've sent you an email. 50mm f1.2, wow! very nice. I have the f1.4 on my list of desirables. But the 20mm f4 or f2.8 is top of my current list. - Ian.

9. From : Ian (meeian@aol.com)
Date : 10:20 PM Wednesday 05 May, 2004

Message for one of the other Ians @ity.co.uk
I'm re-building an LX outfit - so far have found an almost mint body with FA1 and a monster 50 mm f/1.2 M lens. I also have an original ES, the precursor to the LX, plus various odd Pentax and Pentax-fit lenses. However, the reason for this note is that I see you travel about in the West Mids. ie., near where I live. If you want to have an odd pint and chat Pentax, I'd be very happy to give you my address/phone if you e-mail me direct. [I'm not puting either on to this board as all sorts of weirdoes read what we say and I already have enough idiots making me offers I can't refuse - usually from the dark continent and offering me a slice of £XMillion which is in limbo somewhere and all they need is a UK bank account!! One wonders where the idiots are who make this sort of thing worthwhile?] I'm just to the west of Wolverhampton and have access to several good pubs. In the meantime, enjoy your trip. Regards Ian

10. From : John (johnmihanda@hotmail.com)
Date : 08:28 PM Sunday 02 May, 2004

I want to have relationship with someone in Canada. i'm John living in kenya(Nairobi city) can you ? I'm waiting for you

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.