PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Url : http://
Date : 12:07 AM Wednesday 18 December, 2002

NEWS from PENTAX! - It seems that Pentax, 3-years after dropping the MZ-S Digital at the 2000 Photokina, are finally set to launch their 'Pro' digital camera body. This body will have at least a full frame 24 X 18mm 6-magapixel censor, possibly more megs -( considering the recently launched Canon EOS 1Ds with 11.9 meagapixels and the Kodak DCS Pro14n with almost 14 megapixels) - and should be launched by Spring 2003.

I look forward to seeing it!

2. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 07:22 PM Monday 16 December, 2002

Welcome to the club, Barry. I hope you will have decades of future enjoyment with your LX, to make up for the decades lost!

3. From : Barry Donaldson (bazdonaldson@aol.com)
Date : 10:33 AM Sunday 15 December, 2002

This is just a homage to the great LX. Some 20 years ago, when I started my interest in photography at school, my beloved parents bought for me a Pentax ME Super. It was the bees' knees and did everything I wanted (and more). But, being the capitalist child that I was, I wanted more. Reading magazine reviews and the manuals that came with the ME Super, I recognised that the LX was the camera to have. Well, 20 years later, I have one. Bearing in mind that back then, an LX would have set me (or my parents) back around £700, I think that the £300 I paid for my perfect used example was something of a bargain. The minute I first held my LX, I knew that it was something special; it's got that feel about it. And now, having experimented with a few rolls of film, I am left in no doubt as to its' quality performance. Of course, I have "invested" in a few accessories; winder, grip, strap etc., just to make the LX experience that bit more personal. I've read about the potential problems (eg; the sticky mirror), but have yet to experience them. I can see that my LX will provide me with years of pleasure. Who needs a digital camera?

4. From : mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 03:47 AM Sunday 15 December, 2002

I work mainly with LX cameras and the only auto-focus body I have is MZ-3. I use it very sparingly, since I do not need auto-focus so often. And 40% of my lenses are still K, M ,and A type. Also, I am not so impressed with
the auto-focus at all...Maybe top EOS cameras are close to perfection in that field, but the system itself is so bulky and heavy that I would not have considered it anyway.
I think that my F*300/4,5 is O.K. since pictures taken with it are just perfect, so I`ll forget about everything else.

5. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 10:43 PM Wednesday 11 December, 2002

I've noticed a 'slight' difference in 'tightness' between the F* & FA*. I'm sure your model is OK - well, I hope so!
Enjoy your shooting with it; and please let us know how your photos turn out.
Are you using these lenses with a Pentax autofocus body or an LX?

6. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 12:07 AM Tuesday 10 December, 2002

Thank you Globetrotter,
I think that I will keep the F* version, and trade FA*. Tripod collar is something that I really missed with the previous one...I do not think that there was any damage on the F* lens, since I know the ex-owner for a long time, and lens is simply intact. In fact, it took me five years to persuade him to part from his lens! I`ve done a test shots before, and the lens is razor sharp wide open, so this is not the issue. Regarding your expeience with "loose" long lenses, I am interested do you have the same with F* lens in particular?
Mico

7. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 02:20 AM Sunday 08 December, 2002

I've found that there can sometimes be some play between joining parts of some long telephoto lenses. The manual version SMC 500mm and 1000mm lenses have this, but it is mainly to allow for expansion when exposed quickly between hot & cold environments. I used to be concerned about this when I first bought one, but later found that this was normal with all of them. I would advise not to 'open it and fix it' as the lenses I've used that portray this slight "looseness" in the joint just in front of focus ring is not a 'fault' and the results in paractice in the field yield superb, sharp photos. However, if you feel this 'wobble' is caused by earlier damage, then I'd put a roll of test film through the camera weith the lens attached before you decide. I prefer the earlier f* version, because of the added tripod mount. The only major drawback with the F* version is that changing between manual and autofocus is a little awkward. The later FA* version is better in this respect (but it doesn't have the tripod of course!).

8. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 12:45 AM Sunday 08 December, 2002

Note: playing is more obvious when lens focusing ring is set on AUTO FOCUS (sharp "clic" sound). On manual focus it seems to be less notable and "soft".

9. From : mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 12:38 AM Sunday 08 December, 2002

I`ve just got beautiful sample of the SMC Pentax-F 300/f.4,5 lens. I also have the FA version of the same lens, but I find F much more convenient because of the tripod collar. Before I decide which one to keep, I would appreciate the opinion by someone who have it alreadu. I am not concerned about the optics (100% identical as with F version) but about one mecahanical "feature" I`ve discovered: It seems that there is a little playing betwen two parts of the lens body, especially notable when I screw and unscrew the lens hood, with lens fitted on the camera. Also, if I firmly hold front part of the lens (with "pentax" logo) and the other side, just behind the focusing collar, and swing the one of them a bit, there is about 1mm playing between two parts of the lens body. Playing is notable in the area in front or just behind the focusing collar, depending which part of the lens body has been turned. Of course, in this playing I do not count little playing in the focusing colla it self, normal for all auto focus lenses, no matter how good focusing was damped. Other than that, lens is in a 10+ condition, no single scratch on it, optics outstanding. I would appreciate opinion from the people who own the lens, before I decide to open it and fix the problem (if there is any).

10. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@juno.com)
Date : 02:12 PM Thursday 05 December, 2002

Peter, Check Peter Spiro's lens testing on this lens at his website. He says it is excellent at infinity and suffers a bit toward the corners at closer focus distances. I wrote you a direct reply which is more specific about your concerns. It is a good shoot from the hip travel lens, when set for a great depth hyperfocal distance at f 8-11 or so. In any event, it will be better than 95% of the "point and shoots" out there.

The LX set on auto with the lens makes it a very reliable and compact package. But will its area of coverage work for your needs?
--J. Hart : note temporary email address change while the server is sorting out some spam issues on my normal site.

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.