PEntax LX 250 Bulk Film Back.jpg (17k)

Modern Classic SLRs Series :
Pentax LX - Message Board/Guestbook

Industry wide indications and ceasing film body development by Pentax altogether in early 2003 more than suggest the manual focus Pentax LX will not be having an upgrade (except, perhaps for very rare Limited Edition Models hand assembled by special commission by the new HoyaPentax Corporation). In 2008 Pentax became a division of Hoya Corporation, which had together with Pentax released jointly developed professional grade optics (since 2005); Pentax has shifted its attention to development of auto focus Digital SLRs having build qualities constructed for the long run--now with weather seals--like the LX. You may use this site for common support and sharing of mutual users knowledge or experiences among yourselves. You may also use this message board as a guestbook for the advanced users Pentax SLR cameras from the LX forward, including many such auto focus film cameras, and Pentax digital SLR cameras. We keep the site going too for the WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here as to its magnificent K mount system user archives: as have been shared here for many years. Have an inquiry related to Pentax gear? First try KEYING IN YOUR KEY WORD(S) for a preexisting archived response on your subject of inquiry from this LX site. If your inquiry or sharing is from advanced users K10D, K20D, or K200D SLR needs, proceed on to t NEW PENTAX ADVANCED USERS K10D, K20D SLR site.

This LX site was specifically created for the great Pentax LX SLR camera model(s), and now has incorporated increased opportunity for an expanded interchange with the introductions of the Pentax K10D, K20D, and K200D SLRs to include advanced and professional digital user models. Interchange is encouraged with the intention to continue as a forum for advanced system users of past K-mount film based SLR systems and the mentioned Pentax DSLRs. With decreasing forum traffic here, and enthusiasts moving on with SLR digital imaging products futures, we hope the continued convenience of this site and its past Pentax advanced LX users data archives--provided by the database KEY WORD SEARCH FEATURE found here--can be very useful to you. Most past site user techniques, systems components, and lenses of Pentax advanced applications--as have been past examined by users on this site--are still of use regarding the newest Pentax SLRs. Please don't mail us with other than constructive suggestions or to rectify mistakes found within this site, thank you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site, maintained by professional and advanced system users, the developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to dispose of your Pentax cameras or its accompanying accessories and/or you are looking for a used model, or even for any of its system components: please use a separate section with a higher volume of related traffic for these purposes: on the
Free Trade Zone site instead. The Photography In Malaysia sites sponsor has no Guestbook standing on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience of visiting our site and its service, you may use the MIR's Guestbook found at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to the Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Main Index Page of Pentax LX SLR Website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit sections of the PIM served sites; if, at any one time, the traffic is high--the table of contents or individual pages may take a while to load your input data, or our's. So, just be patient. If your interaction stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt interaction here. Thank you. Welcome to MIR!

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Url : http://
Date : 07:29 PM Thursday 06 February, 2003

Just arrived back from snow-covered Germany. That's great news about the new Digital Pentax, Jay. Please inform us if you get any 'sneak' previews!
I will be in USA during March, but too late to see the show.

"BACK TO THE FUTURE"....I have just bought a Pentax-A*n 200mm ED lens. I used to own one a few years back, and sold it when I started using autofocus telephotos....but a few years on, and a lot of good lenses tried, I have yet to find a 200mm lens to match the old A* model (it really is sharp and produced some stunnig photos for me in the past)....so I've bought another. It's like seeing an old friend again!

2. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 06:16 AM Sunday 02 February, 2003

News of the Pentax digital SLR will be released in Las Vegas at the PMA show on March 1st FYI. --Jay

3. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 01:49 AM Tuesday 28 January, 2003

Most animals, including badgers, are not bothered at all by an infra-red beam. They ARE disturbed by the quick light of an electronic flash (and also by the high-pitched sound of a flash gun charging up to full power). However, if you regularly sit quietly for many nights beside the same badger sets, the residents will normally get used to both your scent and the flash going off - and continue normal activity while you take photos.

4. From : Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com)
Date : 01:08 AM Tuesday 28 January, 2003

Globtrotter, When does infared light become an animal menacing problem? Don't certain animals have an aversion to its spectrum, or am I just badgering about a badger? --Jay

5. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 03:33 AM Monday 27 January, 2003

The best ways to attach remote switches or cables is of course via the motordrive, ni-cad pack, or winder sockets. That is a major problem with the LX, and is why I prefer the electro-contact of shutter button on the Pentax Super-A, or Pentax Z1-p. I am at the moment experimenting with the Pentax Infra-red release for Badger photography near my home. I photographed badgers in the Cotswolds during the 1970's, and have got the bug to photograph them again since moving to Surrey. I've only got one Infra-red sender and receiver, but wanted to fire two cameras automatically - both a Z1-p & LX. I can easily use the Z1-p with both the off-camera TTL cord and Infra-red sender connected together via the hotshoe. However, I have found a better way to gain extra flash distance with natural light and fire both cameras: The Pentax Z1-p (with lens - usually an FA 100mm f/2.8 macro, or A-*200mm f/2.8) is placed on a sturdy tripod at a good distance from the set entrance. I then slide a Pentax Infra-red sender device onto the Z1-p body. An LX body (with wide angle lens or medium telephoto) is placed much closer to the set entrance on a separate tripod, or attached to a tree via a clamp. A Pentax Infra-red receiver device is connected to the Pentax LX via connecting cord. Next, I take a Pentax 500FTZ flash (without TTL cord), set it for "Slave-flash" and then place it close to the badger set entrance (or anywhere where you feel it is going to give the best lighting effect). I then hide at an even greater distance from the two cameras and fire the shutter with an extra-long remote cord attached to the Z1-p body. As soon as the Z1-p shutter fires, it instantly sends a signal to the LX body and the separate 500FTZ flash. can also flip the on-camera Z1-p into postion, and this will give some extra lighting, plus fire off the slave flash.(I never realised before I made this set-up, but the Z1-p will actually fire off the 500FTZ flash in 'slave' mode WITHOUT the need of the on-board flah to fire the sequence). If I do need extra lighting, I can instantly fire off extra remote flashes, or even a few extra cameras by adding extra Infra-red receiver; but this set-up allows good reasult with only one Infra-red device. The shutter dial on the LX is set at 'auto' and because it controls the shutter for incoming light, it instantly controls exposure without the actual need for me to attach it to the slave flash with TTL cords! The Pentax 500FTZ does need to be set to manual control when in slave mode, but if I need to work with 500FTZ on TTL mode, I just connect the TTL cord direct to the Z1-p body.

6. From : trevskey (trevskey@hotmail.com)
Url : http://website.lineone.net/~eky_little_pig
Date : 06:22 PM Sunday 26 January, 2003

Hi I've had my LX for many years and apart from having the sticking mirror problem requiring a service to get it sorted - its been a joy to use. Having in the past made several DIY add ons like slave flash units etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fire the shutter using a switch/push button whatever. My brother once had a Yashica SLR which could be fired by making a copple of contacts. So we made several gadgets like remote timers, that exploited this feature.
I'd gess a copple of the motor drive contacts prob fire the shutter and could be used to connect DIY add ons to opperate the camera. But it seems immpossiable to get and info on what the connections do. Or is an electromagnet fitted to a cable release (rather bulky) the only way to opperate the shutter with out a winder???

7. From : Anton R. Browne (anton@antonbrowne.co.uk)
Date : 10:55 AM Saturday 25 January, 2003

Hello Folks Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

As it happens, the problem camera is quite a late version (with the two dots 'missing') I'm not so stressed about it anymore as I picked up 3 LX's with winders for a very good price, shortly after I bought a replacement for the 'missing' one. This leaves me with way more LX's than I need. I'm deciding which to keep and which to sell and enjoying using them all in the meantime. I can't sell the troublesome one so the issue is, should I persue the repair. After reading Globetrotter's post I think I'll plod on with Pentax until they fix it or refund my money. With regard to production variations, I have noticed the following. As you know the shutter surround is different on later models, but also the shutter button itself is slightly altered. The earlier ones have a very slight dome, the later ones are flat. Currently I have these variations: Early surround, early button, early shutter... err in fact an early one. Late surround, early button, early shutter but with meter switch. Late surround, late button, early shutter + switch. Late surround, late button, late shutter + switch As happened with Fender guitars it seems that Pentax used up the parts bin so there's a bit of mix & match on the transition models. My samples suggest that the late shutter is fairly rare I have two of the late ones, one is the above mentioned troublesome LX, the other is a replacement that I bought from I guy who bought it new in 1990 - AB -

8. From : Mico (micolx@netscape.net)
Date : 01:43 AM Saturday 25 January, 2003

Anton, If you remember my LX been jamed (and also with erratic exposure problem) and later repaired by independed Pentax authorized service in Canada... Camera was on the shelf for two months, and since here in Montreal is -35C, I needed 100% reliable and clean camera mechanics. So, I picked up my most reliable LX to go out - and what: I discovered that all electronicaly controled speeds (1/60 - 4sec.) were erratic!!! In fact, there is 1:3 chance that camera will fire wrong, much faster (again!) speed than set on shutter dial. By the way, AUTO mode works fine. Camera was O.K. when picked up from service two months ago... Finally, it ended up in service again, and I was lucky, since there was only 5 days of warranty left. The outcome is pending... On Globetrotter`s sugestion on "tweaked" old-new LX cameras on the market: I would add that probably most reliable way to find out the really NEW version of LX is to take a look at the second curtain. There are two white dots missing, one up and one down, in the center part of the curtain. It is very expensive to replace the shutter and the transport on TYPE 1 LX with TYPE 2 version, so you can be almost 100% sure that that is it. TYPE 1 shutter is also much louder, at least from my experience.

9. From : GLOBETROTTER (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com)
Date : 07:03 PM Friday 24 January, 2003

Anton - I've just taken out my oldest LX body (tweaked and adjusted + repaired several times by Pentax Scandanavia and Europe - with eventual new bottom plate and delay timer assembly). It must be a 1980 or early 1980's model (although I can't remember exactly because of the new Base Plate number). I placed the film speed dial on 3200, and then fired off a load of test shots. It worked fine throughout the sequence - automatically adjusting shutter speed to aperture set in various light conditions, both dark interiors and bright sunlight. I remember that I'd got fed up with this particular camera body during repairs, because it kept coming back with the same initial fault - so I wrote a long and detailed letter to the Pentax repair department + an actual phone call to the 'man-in-charge'. A few weeks later the LX came back looking "almost" new (with it's brand new bottom plate and self-timer release button). I even got a full refund! This particular 20+ year-old LX continues to produce superb photos today(the only problem is that although the self-timer now works, it still releases 2-second early; and the dark gap between exposures on film is wider than it should be - meaning that it gives me about 35 instead of 36 exposures per roll. But I can live with it!) This camera is stil carried with me on my expeditions.
If it were I, that had been unsatisfied with the Pentax repairs of the LX, then I'd certainly write a long letter of complaint to the head department of Pentax - explaining your 'full' story. If an item that is sent for repair is returned with the same said fault, then you are entitled by law for a full or partial refund.

A word of warning on a different subject. Some sellers of the now 'legendary' Pentax LX body are obtaining earliest issue LX bodies, and then replacing the shutter release button with that from a later edition model LX. If you are looking for a latest edition LX model, then I suggest that you not only check that it has the new collar finger release, but also the number on the base-plate, inside back cover, ISO button metering switch-on activation, etc, before you buy it.

10. From : Anton Browne (anton@antonbrowne.co.uk)
Date : 05:36 PM Friday 24 January, 2003

I have given up! I is beaten!

My erratic shutter LX returned from Pentax Europe last week. I set it to Auto at 3200 and fired a few shots and... yes... it's still erratic. Apparently they:

Adjusted exposure
Repaired ASA adjustment
Repaired mirror mechanism

Remember the camera was with Robin (Harrow Technical) for months whilst he tried everything he could think of, it then went to Pentax UK. It then went to Pentax UK again and finally Europe. Robin checked, cleaned and adjusted the ASA, exposure and mirror, as I'm sure Pentax UK did. Quite why Pentax Europe would want to do it yet again I don't know... well it hasn't worked.

Anyway the body has taken up residence on a bellows where it will be used on Auto but at 100 ASA and thus I'm sure will work perfectly in semi-retirement. At least I can bet sure it wont get the sticky mirror problem, it must be the most tweaked LX in existence.

A final thought. As I'm passing that way in two weeks, shall I take the body back to Pentax UK and push for a refund of my £104? Or shall I drop it and have a nice life, whadya think?

Anton

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217

Maintainers for Pentax LX Series SLR Camera Models Message Board:
Tony Davies-Patrick (Globetrotter) (globetrotterworld@hotmail.com); Mico Smiljanic (micolx@netscape.net);
Jay Hart (ibcom@onebox.com); Philip Ashman (genesisphil@hotmail.com)

| Post a Message to the Message Board |

Archived Messages of Previous Postings
001-050 | 051-100 | 101-150 | 151-200

Back to Main Index Page of
Pentax LX SLR Camera Website

Back to Message Board of
Pentax LX
SLR Camera

Disposing/Looking
for New/Used photographic equipment

on Pentax LX SLR camera

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Copyright © 2007. leofoo @. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright@ 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.