A Growing Glabal Buddhist Community (63k Loading ....

Collection of my Thai Religious Amulets/Pendants - Message Board/Guestbook

Religious Thai Amulets are immensely popular among many Thai locals or even the Chinese that residing in South East Asia - probably most followers never have the chance to worship the religion and hopefully with the little image that we wear on the body can provide some form of relief. As I mentioned in the site, probably it takes a Thai to create such a high quality website features specifically on these lovely collective pendants. As I can never be claimed knowledgeable in this strong thai traditions but since I am a web developer in nature, I create this solely for personal consumption and hope to provide a linkage among all passionate collectors. Some of the opinion presented within the site was entirely personal and I do not wish to influence any decision prior to any potential purchases or disposal. So, this forum is intended to provide a channel for all to make use of it to present your own individual views. Enjoy.

As this site is specifically created for this purpose - so, please don't mail me other than constructive suggestions or rectifying mistakes found in this site, thanking you. Since this is a non-profitable resource site - The developer of this site reserves the rights to censor or delete any inappropriate, unrelated, misleading or excessively hostile messages posted herein. If your intention is to llok out or disposing your collection, you are also wecome to do so (as long as maintaining some basic ethic not to cheat anyone. The Photography In Malaysia has no Guestbook on its own, because it is an integral part of the MIR site. But if you want to leave a note on your experience visiting this site, you may use the MIR's Guestbook at another new window by clicking on the Guestbook Link.

Add a Posting to Message Board
A kind reminder: Please do not misuse of this message board system.

Back to Main Index Page of
Collection of Thai Amulets
website

The respective Message Boards are some of the HARDEST hit section of the PIM site, if at any one time, the traffic is high - the table/content may take a while to load the data, just be patience. If it stalls, just click on the 'Reload' or 'Refresh' button on your browser menu once to re-attempt. Thank you.

Search keyword(s)(Case Sensitive) within :

1491. From : Timorthy (nospam@commentony.com)
Url : http://donthave
Date : 10:30 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

King Kong, yes and no. Well, Soomdej can be the top one of great five also has its reasons. It is treated as "shao Ling Si" kind of "Ming mun Cheng Pai" status. Others are like Mo-Tong, No-Mei and so forth, well, to me, they ALL play kung fu right ? next, the official figure presented is indeed quite scarry.

Lasty, don't underestimate the shops' commodities (i have to agree and use this word now) do have many high quality stuffs but with the mass market as the core, I guess they cannot afford to get in too many of them. They are some bad traders too, so, it is also good to develop some form of knowledge for self defence b4 wlaking into one, haha ..

1492. From : KingKong 2006 (join@thisamuletsboard.com)
Url : http://no
Date : 10:10 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

Ahh.. yoh. We are still circling on this matter-kah ? Well, Mr. Passing-by you have put up your defensive comment and well noted, so, I think it is enough and just let be it be stopped from here - if you think they are fake, that is fine with me (if not us). Frankly, this on-board discussion is also useful in a way, as fake amulets is a big industry now in Thailand (unofficial count, it can range from RM100-150 million annually - read somewhere from a journal). I don't encourage new comers to think old must be "powerful" that kind of funny concept, for an instance, newer images like these two http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/leofoo/Thai-amulets/leofoo/images/IpohsoondetNewBIGa.jpg
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/leofoo/Thai-amulets/leofoo/images/soomdejOfficefrntBIG.jpg
although new but they are also considered to be good images. The fundamental thinking is why do we use amulets. Recently, I had a chat with Chao Khun of a local temple who has been serving his duty for the last 18 years here in Malaysia where our conversation was quite interesting. Public often went to see him and next thing asked is usually, " ada "Pai" kah ?" .. for the persistent ones, then he usually will spent plenty of time in guiding them to understand at least with the 10 basic of Buddhism + so on .. usually, after few seasons of lectures, no one will ask for amulets anymore. However, for the successfully "converted" ones, he usually will give him a Lord Buddha image for the house and make sure it has been served and hope the Lord will also serves. Nowadays, portable, wearable images have often being treated as commodities by many Thai (and even the Chinese communities) which he was quite opposing to such kind of thinking. Well, we use amulets because (as leofoo said, like to admit it or not, simply boils down to, mentally we are weak...and seek for spiritual support... " but I do think, 99% (sensitive figure to be used here, haha ..) of us who uses amulet are going with the theory of "protection" as priority and next "prosperity"; so, I am not sure how many have make a fortune from selling his collection (I would comfortably, once acquired, most don't), so , the theory of expensive may apply to shops around Pudu plaza but they are here because they serve and never force people to buy, right ? I go there as well, because I need my pendant to have a string or a hook, if you decided to buy something and believing the image that put up for sale is worth it, you buy; out of range figures ? That is what you believe it worth that much. For many years, I have never seen one conclusive sales that met such out-of-the-world kind of figures that people think a image would worth the ten or hundreds of thousands (possibly, sale privately). Well, I think the topic that has been raised is very unnecessary, because it portrays amulets = $$$ here. So, EXPENSIVE is just in the blood for another category of users because you are convinced. This site is lovely because it doesn't involve such a topic, next, i like the honesty of the creator attitude for being frank and honest by stating he is inexperienced (too humble). The rest, just let the visitors to judge future visits are justified. Me ? I will. Peace. From Gasing. Metta.

1493. From : J.J. (josh_lim_____99@netscape.net)
Url : http://
Date : 09:29 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

I don wish to jam into such a messy stuffs. But after reading your review, I wish to add my comment as well. Sorry, soomdej images are not a propriatry form of WRK. Toh created the form and many temples in Thailand (including the famous ones) are also producing Soomdej images. The image has not been specified as WRK (good) but it is a Soomdej. That is a good image, I suppot uncle wong comment as well. anyway, i think your casual comment was not appropriate too, I would think many of the images in this site are very high quality. Next, everyone will think a site MUST shows top 1% collection is bad enough, Lek site has those materials (i am not sure if he has a forum for you to forward your comment).

Lastly I read the lines between pages, the creator has not been having the intention to sell any of those, so don't worry, even if you think all of them are fake, they will never go to others' hand as I observed most are inviattion from friends and neither it comes with a price tag. Further, your comment has also indirectly blasted the host for putting FAKE amulets for others to view - that is something considered as not being a good gesture too. Well, the more you say, the more problems you will be creating for others (including you). Personally, I agreed with some postings put by by the people here, I like what I saw thus far. Sorry.

1494. From : Melaka-collector (takotak_otak@nospam.com)
Date : 08:56 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

after reading your comments. NOw I am confirmed and still stick to it. xxxxxx.. if not xxxx + xxxx remarks (sensored content by moderator). .

1495. From : Uncle Wong (cool_rod88_nospam__@hotmail.com)
Url : http://no
Date : 08:53 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

Oh... a Soomdej expert ..from a book huh ? never mind lah, young man, who is talking setting "fire" from the board ? it is a matter of personality and what you should behave in a community circle - you can make comments on something but must be responsible of what you said in this case, you are accusing others, aware of this act ? (if you don't, there is nothing we can converse about..). I am not sure where the hell you got yhe impression amulets must cost a bomb ? first of all, I am not even sure purspose of amulets. Frankly, mine are mostly gifts from my mates in Thailand, $$ is in a form donation we gave to temples. looks like you are a follower rather than getting the real purpose of using Buddhist images ?

1496. From : Passerby (frank@opinion.com)
Date : 07:31 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

Before I permanently cease fire following remarks about XXXX and XXXX (sensored content), let me add on one more thing.

It is XXXX and XXXXX to think that a Thai knows everything. Please remember that authentication is in your own hands and science + logic = 99.9% chance of accurate verification. To simply accept what a COLUMN WRITER and whoever Thai who THROWS SUCH PIECES IN YOUR FACE, with a guarantee that it is real, please wake up.

As I have said before, I don't own any pieces of Somdech Wat Rakang because I cannot afford it and I know how much I have to pay to own one. Are you still in your dream land?

Want to see real pieces please take a look here:
http://www.thaiamulet.com/thaiamulet/amulet/somdej/somdej1.htm

Simply look at the material component and the cut edges and you will get your answer.

Chok Dee to all!

1497. From : Passerby (frank@opinion.com)
Date : 07:23 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

Uncle wong, nice to see your remarks about the 18 years of collecting experience you have.

If indeed you have the 18 years of experience, I hope you know that the Thais avoid pieces such as: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/leofoo/Thai-amulets/leofoo/images/fooSDFrntBig.jpg simply because of the questionable red betelnut sap lacquer.

I presume you are familiar with the mould name of Somdech Wat Rakang for the piece in question. Why not enlighten all of us with your 18 years of knowledge? After all this is an open forum and if my comments are not welcome, I will cease fire.

1498. From : Passerby (frank@opinion.com)
Date : 07:20 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

My comment is from me and does not represent everyone who has been here.

Do you seriously believe ONE person can be an expert in everything from Tok Rajah in Kelantan to Somdech Ajaan Toh in KrungThep to Luang Por Ngen in Pichit to Kru Ba Sivichai in Chiangmai?

I think some of you who are strong supporters of this site are not seeing the picture clearly. I am not suggesting anyone is out to cheat as NO ONE person can be good in everything. Spare me the talk about money and contacts can get you anything you want.

My opinions are as thus: Tok Raja amulets in here have the highest chance to genuine whereas most of the Pichit Luang Por Ngen and KrungThep Somdech Ajaan Toh pieces are gone case.

It is ok if you do not believe but degrading remarks like idiot and senseless does not encourage people to share in here. I don't own these pieces in question because I am not a RICH MAN like most people here but I have seen enough pieces from my many years experience to differentiate straight case failed pieces.

Take one more look at all the so-called Wat Rakang and Wat Bang Koon Prom pieces. So perfectly cut edges like machine made and covered with lacquer to make them look old, without even a slight warpage on the pieces even though they were made 130 over years ago. Very "well preserved" indeed.

I hope you have seen enough real Wat Rakang and Wat Bang Koon Prom pieces to know what I am blabbering about in here.

That's just about it.

Adios.

1499. From : Kakaman (mail_will_bounce@mir.com.my)
Url : http://www.MIRnet.com.my/contact
Date : 01:46 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

Alamak ... this slighly out of control. Anyway, it is alright for me and besides, as I am the involved party, so it is not very appropriate for me to defence myself over the use of content hosted in my web site. But I am glad to find another gentleman that can have the capability of authenticate the Tok Raja images. Which means to say Passerby may has posssessed good knowledge on Tok Raja too, I still find the Tok Raja section requires more input from some other Gurus for all of us to share with other related information, So, Passerby - can you help us to beef up this specific area ? Thanks.

p.s. please don't raise sensitive cross-border kind of remarks, please .....thanks.

1500. From : Huat (annoyed@noemail.com)
Date : 01:38 PM Thursday 17 November, 2005

Neither I enjoyed reading comments macam-ni. Sounds like aiming to downgrade the site. Passerby, where are you locating ? a Malaysian ?

PAGE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207

Maintainers for Thai Religious Amulets/Pendants Message Board:

Mr. Stan SL Thong, Malaysia (StanSLThong@yahoo.com); KH TAN, Malaysia (tankoonhee@hotmail.com); Raymond Goh, Malaysia (rockraymond168@yahoo.com), Malcolm Lee, Singapore (spiky_malcolm@yahoo.com); kok-huat yeap, USA (yeappie@hotmail.com), Y.K.T., Malaysia (preferred private); Morgan Bonsse (lars@buddha.eu); Purt, Thailand (support@thailandamulets.com); Chng Hoon Hoon, Singapore (hoon2304@hotmail.com); Richard Wong, Singapore (teleadv@yahoo.com.sg)

| Questions relating to your Collections ? Post a Message to the Board

Back to Main Index Page of
Thai Religious Amulets/Pendants Website

Back to Message Board of
Thai Collection
of Religious Amulets/Pendants
on Various Collections of Images

Administrator Page

Home - Photography in Malaysia

Search.gif

Copyright 2007. leofoo ®. MIR Web Development Team.
Version three Re-Programmed by our in-house Fairuz Sulaiman, improved from original version by Ang Seng Leong ,Yeak Ngai Siew, Rizal Yahya, Halimaton Yahya (Members of the MIR Web Development Team)

MIR Guestbook On-line. Developed & Copyright � 2001 by MIR Communications Sdn. Bhd.